A worker lead me to her room, letting me step inside. There I saw Maka, with her head wrapped in bandages, her arms hooked up to a system too complicated for me to understand, a total mess.

"H-Hey Soul..." She called out to me in a quiet, rasp voice. I broke into loud sobs, falling to my knees beside her bedside.

"I l-lost my hair..."

I let those words sink into my mind, grasping it a little to much.

Her perfect pigtails...gone.

"Maka! I'm so sorry! " I shouted, burying my face into her blanket.

"S-Soul... I'm tired... Can we go to the park tomorrow? W-With Blackstar and Tsubaki... And Kid....and Liz... Invite P-Patty too..." She asked me with a slight smile. I wiped away my tears, responding in a shaky voice. "O-Ok... I'll tell them all to come." After that I slowly stood up and exited the room.

~

~

The following day I returned to the hospital, clothed in proper attire. A T-shirt, baggy sweatpants, sneakers, stuff like that. He entered the lobby, seeing that Maka was dressed appropriately also. Her orange sweatshirt seemed nicer than usual, a sapphire colored cap placed upon her bald head. "Let's go..." I mumbled. It hurt to see my meister going through such hardships.

Within approximately thirty minutes, we arrived at the basketball court, the others waiting on the wooden bench impatiently. "'bout time you showed up. We were gettin' worried."

I snatched the ball from Blackstar's grasp, passing it to Maka. "Go right ahead. Make your famous shot of bravery, Maka."

The female meister responded, a giggle escaping her lips. She jumped up in the air, missing the hoop as she threw the ball. Everybody cheered either way, as an attempt to make the girl smile. Luckily, it worked. "Thanks guys! I'll get it right next time."

Little did she know that there wouldn't be a next time.

After hours of playtime, the sun began to set.

Fifteen minutes until five o'clock.

"Maka, we gotta go."

"I don't want to go... But ok."

I didn't want to see her get hurt, but I didn't want to see her upset.

Five minutes wouldn't hurt...right?

Everybody left, leaving Maka and I alone on the court. We played a quick one-on-one, not keeping track of time.

What was I thinking?!

I passed the ball to Maka, but Instead of catching it, she let it roll to her feet.

"Maka?

Maka began to cough non-stop, her eyes began to sting, she was practically choking. "Soul! I c-can't breathe!" She screamed, collapsing to the bare cement. I bolted towards her, swiftly lifting her from the ground and escaping to the clinic. "Don't die on me Maka! Hold it in!"

Maka looked up at me faintly, her breathing becoming dangerously light. "I don't know if I can..."

"Try! Dammit Try! I don't want to loose you!!" I yelled, holding Maka close to my chest. I couldn't loose her! Not today! Not now!

My lungs were burning, my legs wobbly, by the time I arrived to the emergency room. I was gasping for air as they rushed Maka onto a stretcher. I could've died on the spot, a whole mile...

~

I walked home alone that night, my mind racing. I had no clue if my meister was going to survive or not. Part of me wanted to know

The other part of me wanted to run away and never find out.

~

My scarlet oculars were fixed on the ceiling.

Was she ok?

Was she hurt?

Was she...

NO

There was no time for thoughts like that. As Tsubaki always said, "Stay positive for positive results!"

Although I couldn't think positive.

~

I got an abrupt phonecall on my cell phone, causing me to scramble recklessly in search for it. I found it seconds before the call was sent to voice mail, answering the call.

"Is Maka ok?!"

The representative responded nervously with a "Yes, but she's not allowed to go out anymore. It's too dangerous."

Great.

Just fricken great.

~

Ever since then, for two continuous weeks, I visited Maka. I usually arrived at nine AM and left at four PM. A simple routine.

I watched every day go by

Maka's body movements becoming slow and fragile, her energy was chipping away piece by piece. Yet even through all of the darkness, Maka could still see a light. Sparks of hope flashed in her eyes, her bright smile motivating me to believe.

Believe that she was going to live.

~July 15~

The day before Maka's death.

I took a trip to see Maka, trying my best to hold a grin. But how could I smile at a time like this?

In fact, how could Maka smile?

"Good morning, Soul!"

"Hey, Maka..." My voice was unusual quiet, as if I were vulnerable at the moment. Probably because she was, well, dying right in front of me.

Her lips curled into a slight smile, as if she could no longer grin widely. "You ok?" I asked, regardless if it was a stupid question or not. I just needed reassurance that she wasn't dead yet.

"Yea I'm ok. The question is, are you?"

I nodded my head "yes".

A lie

"I'm fine"

Another lie.

I wasn't OK with all this. I wasn't OK with Maka, the person whom I did everything with, leaving me. The meister continued on. "Remember when you said that you'll be willing to do anything for your meister?"

"Yea."

"Well I'm your meister still, right?"

I nodded my head once again, gesturing her to finish what she started.

"Can you do me a favor and buy me a book? Chapter book, at least 20 chapters. "

"Of course"

[Not done yet]