please smile..

I don't want Maka to die...

~

I looked down at the doctor's note, that dreaded note.

"July 16."

Maka's death date.

My meister had been recently diagnosed with a deadly disease, in which the doctors referred to as "Cancer". It was a common disease, thousands of people got it every year. But, surprisingly, Maka got the most uncommon form of it.

Heart cancer.

Not many people got it, in fact I never knew that there was such a thing, but that's what she had.

The ashy blonde meister walked up behind me, her pace incredibly slow, her emerald eyes droopy. A wide grin spread across her face, she seemed so happy. It made me wonder if she even remembered the predicament she was in.

Just seeing her facial features lightened up my mood, I wouldn't be able to see her precious looks soon. Today was June 16, so that was approximately a month I had to savor my meister.

Only a month...

"Soul! Wanna play a board game?" Maka asked me, her voice was so cheerful, I wondered if she was faking it...

I nodded my head, rushing to the closet located directly in the hallway. Almost everything collapsed, but I managed to shut the door tightly before anything could slip out. "How about game of basket-"

"My hair is coming out!"

My attention became focused on Maka.

The girl stood in front of the kitchen sink, tears streaming down her face, as she held a clump of dirty blonde hair firmly.

"It's just the treatment that's making you loose your hair... D-Don't cry!" I reassured her, a knot forming in my throat. The doctors had confronted me that Maka's treatment would result in hair loss, but it was difficult to take in either way. She had beautiful pigtails, why did they have to go away?

"Soul! Soul I don't care if it's the treatment! I'll look like a freak!" The meister screamed, putting her arms over her head. My heart ached, guilt taking over me. I felt like it was all my fault... "M-Maka! Calm down! Everything will be ok! I promise!"

"How do you know?!" Was all I heard, along with loud footsteps running away from me.

I stood alone.

To be honest, I knew that everything wasn't going to be ok for her. I knew what the outcome of all this would be.

I just didn't want to accept it.

~

The following morning, I drove Maka to the hospital. The nurse instructed me to leave the room, since Maka needed to be treated with medication and rest. Apparently I'm not allowed to disrupt or contribute in that process. I walked all the way back to our lifeless apartment, occasionally shedding a tear every few steps. She was disappearing from my world faster than I ever imagined. I thought me and her were going to grow old together...be happy together...

But now it was clear...

That was all impossible now.

Once she was gone... My life would fall apart. I just knew it.

I entered the accommodation miserably, immediately rushing into the bathroom. I gazed at myself in the mirror, bags under my crimson irises. I traced my fingers over the dry tear marks on my face. My mouth was dry and stiff, as if it were forever stuck in a frown.

What was wrong with me?

~

Maka didn't come home that day due to overnight treatments. I called the hospital as soon as I awoke from my slumber. They informed me that Maka would have to reside in the hospital for her remaining days, but could go out and about as long as she always returned to the medical facility before five o'clock PM. I rode the meister's bike to the clinic, racing inside. I was desperate to see Maka.