Chapter 5

Scarlet's Pov

It had been little over a week now since I had finally heard Harry's voice. It was little - three words - yet it meant so much. He hung up straight after, and I understood why. There was no point in saying three completely different words when we knew it would only make the pain we felt inside worse. The fact that I knew that he missed me as much as I missed him was enough to make me grab hold of any hope I had left, and I never intended to let that hope go.

It was nine thirty by the time I looked up at the clock. Shimmying into my black dress, I turned around and sighed, bumping into the cardboard boxes that surrounded me. I had been working all day and had no other choice but to get changed in the storage room at work. It was Cooper's 21st birthday today, and Callum and Amber had pulled together to throw him a surprise party. I would have missed the surprise by now, of course, it started an hour ago.

Huffing, I tossed my long strands of hair behind my back, letting them cascade freely in a flock of loose waves. I could hear the heels of my shoes scrap across the marbled floor as I made my way to the door; I never was one for wearing high heels, but Avery had insisted I made an effort.

When I pulled the door open, she was there waiting for me. Her long, golden locks of hair had been pulled up and into a classy up-do, and her dress was skin tight and gold. I laughed, knowing she had gone to such an effort for Clyde, who by the time we got there would probably be too drunk to even notice. She pushed herself off of the wall and smiled, taking in my appearance as she placed a hand on her hip, nodding in approval.

"You look amazing!" She squealed, her arm now slinging across my shoulders, pulling me into her side.

"Thank you." I mumbled, feeling a blush creep into my cheeks. "You look nice, too."

She pulled me around the corner and into the busy restaurant, where no one seemed to notice us as they were all dressed up, too. I pursed my lips and looked around, rolling my eyes in in Rick's direction when his mocking eyes met mine. Rick and his boyfriend, Dixon, both worked at the restaurant with Avery and I, and they were constantly telling me that I needed to let my hair down. They took me clubbing once, but it left me with a week long hangover and several bumps and bruises. I swore then that I would never go out with them again.

"Enjoy yourself, girls." He beamed, making his way towards us.

"It's Cooper's party, we'll enjoy ourselves. We'll be forced to." I joked, smiling proudly as I did.

"And let him know I'm sorry I couldn't come, duty calls." He shrugged playfully, slamming the notebook in his hand against the back of his other. "I know he'll be super sad his best friend missed it."

"Yeah, you wish." I laughed, but then I realized that his best friend really wouldn't be there - Harry wouldn't be there. Maybe that's why Cooper looked a little lost and confused this morning, maybe he was sad that his best friend couldn't help him celebrate his twenty-first birthday.

Before I had the chance to even think about what Cooper might be going through, Avery pulled me towards the door and yelled goodbye for the both of us. There was a taxi already waiting for us, booked in advance. She pulled open the door and dragged me in behind her, so excited she almost knocked me to the ground in the process.

I shook my head, pulling the car door shut behind me. Avery told the driver the address, and then began to blabber away as I stared out of the window, feeling my stomach knot. I couldn't shake the overwhelming and unwelcome feeling that something terrible was about to happen. I had felt it the moment I woke up this morning. Nothing ever went to plan. No day that was supposed to be a good day could ever end happily. We were all doomed from the moment our eyes opened to the first speck of sunlight. Sunlight could be beautiful, but it could also be deadly.