Chapter 1

Since our teacher was not around, I silently remained on my designated place in the classroom while I discreetly gazed at Lei, my long time crush, who I have known for a long time. My parents and his were very close friends, but unfortunately, the two of us aren't as close as our parents are. Believe it or not, we never actually had a real conversation. Although, I hope that someday, somehow, he will finally notice me.

Though our families are friends, I guess that we will never be, because I am neither an attention seeker nor an attention getter. Besides, I will never get any attention either because I think I'm not pretty or charming enough to be noticed. I am way too far from the likes of Lei and of his circle of friends.

Lei and his friends are quite popular among our class and maybe among our whole batch as well. Each and every single one of them is good-looking. The boys, who hang-out with him, are all handsome, and the girls are all beautiful. He caught my eye because among his peers, when we were young and now as well, he was the only guy who shows demureness and mysteriousness. He emits a very attractive aura because of those reasons.

I have liked him ever since, but I never dared to show or tell it. Nobody knows about my feelings for him, except for my parents. I have always preferred to distance myself from him while I constantly wished, hoped and prayed that someday, somehow, he will finally notice me.

"He asked you out?!" I heard one of my seatmates shrieked which shifted my attention from Lei to their group.

"Damn! You're so lucky!" Her friend excitedly squirmed.

"I'm so envious of you girl," another one squealed.

So, it was this time of the year again. The Annual Campus Ball Night is just around corner. It is a traditional school event similar to the usual JS Prom. The only difference between the two is that our Annual Campus Ball Night is held during the month of July, instead of on February, for it is merged with the usual Acquaintance Party.

I glanced towards Lei, wondering who he will ask out. I wished, hoped and prayed that I could be that lucky girl. I panicked when I noticed that he had already stood up and that he was walking towards my place. My thoughts were arguing inside my mind on whether he'll ask me or not.

'Expect the unexpected,' one part of my mind said.

'But prefer for the worst!' Another part argued.

Unfortunately, expecting that Lei will invite me was really an impossible dream. He just walked pass me and approached Crissy, the most beautiful girl in Class Grade 12-A, and maybe of all the Grade 12 students in our school. I knew that what I was planning to do was definitely wrong, but I still decided to eavesdrop to ease my curiosity.

"Hi! How are you?" Lei asked Crissy.

"I'm good. Nothing's new, how about you?" She answered.

"I'm doing well, but things will definitely get better if you'll come to the Campus Ball with me," he said shyly.

"Are you asking me to be your date?" Crissy raised her eyebrows.

"Isn't it obvious?" Lei replied modestly.

"Sure, why not? That will definitely be an honor," Crissy replied.

"Thank you very much! Your answer absolutely made my day. Mind you, the pleasure is mine," Lei said.

My heart ached when I sensed extreme happiness in Lei's voice. I always thought that Lei doesn't have any love interests at all, and it seems that I was so wrong. All along, he liked Crissy, but who wouldn't? Christina Rose Noquiz is the most popular girl among all the Grade 12 students. She is stunningly beautiful, and besides, she is both beauty and brain. My little chances of being Lei's girl are now gone with the wind.

It looks like I won't be attending any school events for this year either. I'm sure that if Lei and Crissy get together, this whole school year will be full of bitterness and boredom. When that time comes, every single day of this year will hurt me big time.