Ch. 1: Summer Camp Shenanigans

Start from the beginning

Sure, Jojo's brother is nice and honestly didn't mean to get distracted entirely by his friends... But I feel like Jojo is somehow a little more empathetic than cousin Shuu. Jojo understands me better.

"I pinkie promise, Marie," he says, releasing my hand and raising his pinkie without breaking eye contact. Satisfied with his agreement, I giggle and take his pinkie in my own to seal the deal. "Now, come on, we're almost there!"

Jojo shifts his hand so that he's holding mine again, tugging me along towards the outhouses as we pass other kids and proctors as they adjust to the new setting. It isn't until we pass them all that we reach the furthestmost outhouse of the campgrounds, conveniently placed a good ways away from most of the other cabins. In fact, it's so broken off from the other cabins that the kids there hardly look bothered by the chaos of children celebrating their newfound freedom in the wild. There are no proctors in sight within this specific zone whatsoever.

Four children, two together and two doing their own thing, catch my attention as we approach the cabin. My blue eyes jump over the kids' faces quickly, and I shrink back closer to Jojo in an attempt to sap some confidence from him when their eyes flick in my direction curiously. I've never seen any of these kids before... I know some are classmates from home with Jojo, and most likely go to the same school in general, but I didn't attend the same school as my cousin. I mean... I lived in a different part Tokyo during second grade. After summer, I'm going to be in third grade. The idea of it is a bit overwhelming. Especially considering some certain events that have recently passed... 

...

"HEY, JOE!"

A gasp escapes me as Jojo and I snap our heads upwards to find the source of the call, which appears to come from a kid standing up high on a thick branch in the tree above us. He appears oblivious to the confused looks scrawled across the faces of the other four kids in the vicinity as they look from Jojo to me and back.

I'm sure they have questions, as Jojo and I look close, yet physically appear to be complete opposites- which is a given since I have starry blonde hair, crystal blue eyes, and a pale complexion to my petite figure. The only other kid as short as I am is one boy with sandy gold hair wearing a weird green hat, but I don't judge based on style.

"Jeez, don't scare me like that, Taichi!" Jojo huffs up at the kid in the tree, glaring as the stranger grins down at us in amusement and promptly jumps down from the branch to greet us properly. 

As he lands before us, I flinch and shift so I'm slightly behind Jojo, using his body as a source of protection from this unfamiliar kid.

This "Taichi" guy has wild brown hair half held back by a pair of goggles, wearing a blue and black headband under the tight strap and sporting a blue tee with an orange trim. Much like Jojo, this kid appears to have take a similar path in what he wears below the belt, because he has on brown khaki shorts and red sneakers much like my cousin's.

It's only once I look up at Taichi's smiling face again that I realize...

This boy is also very cute.

"Aw, I'm sorry, I'm sorry! I had to! And hey, you don't have to get all formal on me or anything. I already told you, just call me Tai," the wild haired boy laughs before his brown eyes move to focus on me beside Jojo. Infatuated by his physical appearance, I become frozen with anxiety when he looks straight into my eyes and beams brightly in my direction. "And you are? I don't think I've seen you around before... Do you go to our school?"