Ch. 1: Summer Camp Shenanigans

*Marie's P.O.V.*
_________________________

"Jojo, do you know the kids at the camp?" I ask curiously as I jump off the last bus arriving at the campsite, looking around and shoving a hand in the pocket of my knit black leggings as I fall into step with my blue haired cousin.

Most of the other kids on this bus, which is the one bus that decided to get lost driving around for an hour past the arrival time despite there being three other buses for the driver to follow, have already run off ahead of my cousin and I much to my relief, which leaves the two of us to make our way alone to our assigned cabins for the duration of summer camp.

My cousin, Joe Kido, is twelve years old and apparently he'll be the oldest kid at the particular cabin we're going to be bunking in. I'm one of the younger ones there, but thankfully even though some kids are closer to Jojo's age here, I know he won't ditch me and will keep me company regardless.

See, I'm a bit insecure... And kind of a clinger. In my defense though, I'm only eight years old and I only recently finished second grade. According to my aunt, it's okay for kids my age to cling to their elders- especially when they look up to them. In this case, that means cousin Jojo.

Jojo is really smart- albeit a bit nerdy- but I'm completely fine with that. In fact, I hardly care what he looks like. He's my favorite cousin and he's always taken good care of me whenever I visit him. He usually has on wide rimmed glasses, with the center nose rest taped to keep it from falling apart... I think? In all honesty, I think it's part of the price tag to the glasses that Jojo forgot to pull off. Jojo only got them before we hopped on the bus after all, and I wouldn't put it past him to forget taking something so inconsequential off.

His clothing currently consists of a white button up tee with a cream knit vest over it, sporting dark tan khaki shorts and finally red sneakers for the planned nature walks we'll be taking during camp. His hair, unlike mine, is a bold navy blue that matches the hair color of nearly the entire Kido family. He says it's a weird color, but in my opinion, I kind of like it.

I wasn't born into the Kido family like he was. Fortunately, Jojo's aunt and uncle- my mom and dad- adopted me into the family when I was three. I was being taken care of in a foster home at the time. They couldn't have children of their own, so they decided to adopt to try and have the dream family they always wanted. Turns out I was the lucky flower of the bunch, and I got to go home with them as a newly formed family.

I love my family, and I'm so glad mom and dad picked me out of all the other kids. Their choice might have been swayed in my favor due to the flower crowns I clumsily made them that convinced them to pick me. Hee hee...

...

"Marie, you don't have to worry about a thing. I only know a few of them, but it doesn't matter. I'll be right here with you regardless," Jojo says confidently, shooting a smile my way as I walk in step with him.

I pull my free hand out of my pocket again and reach out to grab onto his right hand, pulling myself to his side a little more.

"You promise?" I ask inquisitively, blinking my bright blue eyes at his dark irises as he pauses to crouch down a little to my shorter level. We're approaching the camp grounds, but we're not in much of a hurry really. After all, we're already late anyways to being with.

My suitcase is a bit heavy, but I let him stop me anyways because I want to make sure he won't abandon me. Last week, his brother left me alone at his friend's sibling's birthday party, and I felt so lonely and out of place... I didn't know anyone there. I definitely don't want to through that again...