"Tell me this," he began. He leaned against the counter, opposite from where you stood. "How are we to make sense of meaninglessness in a world that has meaning?"

You were stunned by his question, clearly unprepared and hadn't a single clue as to what he was saying. "Erm..."

Aaron shook his head. "It's okay. You don't have to answer it. I'm just voicing out my thoughts," he muttered. You nodded and approached him, wrapping your arms around his waist as you stood before him. You peered into his hazel eyes. "I'm sorry I can't help much," you smiled sadly.

He held you close so he could leave a kiss on your forehead. You stood in silence, hugging Aaron. 

"Something's been bugging me for quite some time now and I want to tell you but you gotta promise me that you won't tell anyone about this. Not a single soul," Aaron looked at you sternly suddenly, to which you nodded. "Of course," you were slightly confused by the sudden secrecy.

"Okay," he let go of you and ran his fingers over his messy hair. "You know my sister Jaye?"

"Uh-huh."

"She... she can hear and talk to inanimate objects."

You looked at him, more puzzled now. Aaron sighed. "I'm serious. She said they tell her to do stuff."

"Stuff that would hurt people?"

Aaron shook his head. "No. Stuff that helps people. I know this sounds crazy but it's not a joke. I think it's something bigger than us, something we can't really comprehend that's relaying her these messages. Which leads me to wonder, how am I supposed to make sense of this world which I believe to be meaningless, as Nietzche and other philosophers had so brilliantly pointed out, when there's clearly something else out there, something bigger than us that is inserting meaning into this world, that has a say in the way the world operates? I've always been an atheist and now with this whole thing with Jaye, nothing seems to make sense to me anymore."

You were silent when he finished. Anyone who was sane would have thought that Aaron was just having a mental breakdown or an existential crisis from his thesis, but you could see it in his eyes that he wasn't lying. Plus, he was a terrible liar. So, if what Aaron was telling the truth then does it mean he was dabbling in the idea that God exists in a world that he deemed as meaningless?

"Babe, I know you're trying to figure out an answer, but it's okay. I just needed to get it off my chest. You don't actually have to give me an answer," he grinned toothily and pulled you in for another kiss on the forehead.

Thranduil (The Hobbit): You had always known about Thranduil's late wife, it was all over the news when the accident happened, so when he finally opened up to you about her, you weren't too shocked by it. However, you were not prepared to hear and witnessed how much she was still affecting him, even after eight years since the accident. The confession happened on a harmless night at Thranduil's penthouse, But after a quiet night in with some delicious home-cooked meal by Thranduil, and one too many glasses of red wine, he decided to let you in on how much he still missed her and would probably continue to.

"Please don't get me wrong, Y/N," he began. "But it's just... I've tried. I've really tried. I went for therapy sessions, I've cried, I've talked, I've shared, I've even tried to drown it out with distractions, but nothing worked. She'll always have a special place in my heart. And with Legolas, he's like a constant reminder of her."

A tear rolled down your cheek. You had been holding it in for as long as you could since he began recounting the tale of her and his love for her. You understood his pain, his longing, but it also pained you to hear those words from him. Does it mean you would always be second place in his heart?

Thranduil sighed inwardly and reached over to wipe away the tear. "Please don't cry. I- I'm sorry," he stammered, his lips twisted into a frown. He hated what he was doing to you, but he knew he had to be honest with you, sooner or later you were bound to find out.

"I promise you," he rested his hand on your neck, his thumb stroke your jaw gently. His steely blue eyes held your gaze. "I promise you I will never place you second. That I will keep trying each day to forget her. To put her in the past and to focus on you because you're important to me. And I want you to feel that."

You shook your head slightly. "Don't," you protested, your voice shaky and soft. "Don't do that. Don't forget her. I understand that she was... is very important to you. She was a big part of your life when you were young. And I don't want to be the reason for you to forget her. We're still at the early stages of our relationship. So, let's just enjoy this and see where it goes," you smiled weakly at him, unsure of whether you, yourself even believed in the words that flowed out of you. But you have to right?

A/N: That's the end of Part 1 of 'Secrets'. Something less upbeat, less happy in comparison to the previous chapters. I hope you've enjoyed it. Feel free to vote or leave a comment below on your thoughts about this chapter or what you would like to see in future chapters. Thank you so much for reading! :)