Chapter Three - The Mind's Power Over the Body

Start from the beginning

"This isn't real..." I shook my head, dropping my hand from her face when I realized she wasn't breathing. I took deep breaths as I held her against me.

This is just the toxin, I thought to myself, trying to steady my breathing. She's not dead, she's fine, this is just the effects of the toxin...

Though that was getting harder and harder to believe... it felt so real...

"Jonathan!? Jonathan!"

My eyes flashed open, and I became aware that I was on the ground, held in Olivia's arms against her trembling body. Looking up, I met her gaze and felt relief fill me at the sight of her, her flushed skin, intoxicating hazel eyes...

"Jonathan...?" She whispered unsurely, to which I sat up fully and pulled her into my arms, holding her tightly against me as I felt my heart beat steady itself.

"I'm sorry..." She whimpered meekly, causing me to look down at her, confused.

"For what?" I questioned, wiping the tears off her pale face as she looked up to meet my gaze, before looking back down at the floor once again.

"For spilling the toxin... if I hadn't been so jumpy, then I wouldn't have spilt it, and-" I cut her off, pressing my lips against hers, effectively silencing her.

After a moment, I pulled away and gave her a small smirk.

"It wasn't your fault," I assured her, gently pressing my lips against her forehead. "I shouldn't have scared you."

"I thought you like to scare people?" She teased weakly, causing me to chuckle.

"I do, all in good fun of course." I agreed, smiling as she hugged me tightly, burying her face in my chest as I wrapped my arms tightly around her small frame.

If anything, Olivia's mishap had caused me to realize how deeply I cared for her, and for that, I was honestly grateful.

~*~*~*~

Setting down the vile of toxin in my hand, I rubbed my eyes with a tired sigh.

Looking towards the window, I smiled at the moonlight streaming in. Olivia had left hours ago, and I figured I should probably head back to my quarters and sleep, perhaps even eat something.

After tidying up, I locked the door to the lab and wandered quietly down to my quarters, being as quiet as possible so I didn't disturb anyone nearby.

Reaching my resident home I opened the door and locked it behind me, wandering into the kitchen to try and find something to eat, but, as it often was, my fridge was nearly empty as I spent most of my money on books and... help for my research.

I found some crackers in the cupboard and was about to make myself some coffee before I remembered that I was actually planning on sleeping tonight.

When I finally retired to bed it was nearly one in the morning, Saturday.

I smiled lightly to myself, eager that I would have no classes to deal with those bumbling idiots for two entire days. Placing my glasses on my bedside table, I changed into a pair of pajama bottoms climbed under the covers.

Staring at the ceiling, I rubbed my eyes. How could someone be so tired yet be unable to sleep?

As I was mulling over my thoughts, I heard a faint knock, causing me to sit up and strain to hear the sound again. Had I been imagining it? No, there it was again, this time a little bit louder, causing me to climb out of bed and move silently towards the door.

I peeked through the peekhole but it was too dark to see who was there, so I simply pulled the door open, and, much to my surprise, found Olivia standing there.

"Olivia, what are you doing here?" I questioned, glancing back to the wall clock and seeing that it was nearing one thirty. "Is everything alright?"

When I looked back at her, she was staring at the floor.

"I can't sleep... I keep seeing the same things I saw when I was affected by the toxin..." She mumbled, and it occurred to me that after the toxin had spilled I had never questioned her on what she saw, so, this now spiked my curiosity.

"What things, Olivia?" I inquired, and watched as her cheeks flushed.

I looked her over, realizing that her stance was rather scared, her right hand clutching onto her left wrist as she shuffled from foot to foot awkwardly. She wore a baggy sweater over pajama shorts, her bare feet pressed against the cool hallway carpet.

"I'm assuming you aren't ready to talk about it," I mused, seeing her look up at me and nod her head slightly. "Why don't you come in?"

I stepped aside to allow her to enter, watching as she hesitated for a moment before doing so, allowing me to shut and lock the door behind me, a simple habit. Olivia watched uncomfortably, her eyes watching my hand motions before looking up at my face.

"I'm not sure what you want me to do in attempts to help you..." I trailed off, not entirely understanding why she was here.

Though, when her face flushed, it clicked in my mind.

"Oh," I paused, feeling my cheeks redden slightly as well, but I shook my head and smirked. "Much like a frightened child, Olivia, you want to spend the night with someone who will protect you."

She shied away slightly at my words, looking at the ground as she nodded her head.

"Don't worry, Olivia," I soothed, gently cupping her face in my hands and pressing her forehead against mine. Stunning hazel eyes widened as they looked into mine. "It's okay to be afraid."

Her eyes flickered slightly and she frowned.

"I... I'm not afraid..." She stammered, causing me to chuckle as my lips grazed hers.

"Oh really?" I teased, and she grinned lightly before pushing her lips against mine, wrapping her arms around my neck.

I closed my eyes, savoring her embrace.

"Jonathan, Jonathan are you alright?"

I opened my eyes, finding myself now on the floor, Olivia's hand on my forehead. Gently pushing her hand away, I sat up and rubbed my tired eyes.

"Sorry, my dear, just a little sleep deprived, that's all..." I trailed off, covering my mouth as I yawned, seeing Olivia smirk out of the corner of my eye as she helped me to my feet, her hand making its way to wrap around my own.

"Seems like I'm not the only one who needs sleep... how about we get some rest, hm?" She suggested softly, to which I nodded and made my way into my room.

The lights were still off as we entered, and I led Olivia over to the bed before I laid down once more, pulling the blankets over myself as I closed my eyes. After a moment, I felt Olivia lay down at my side, so I raised my right arm, allowing her to cuddle close with her head on my shoulder.

"...goodnight, Jonathan." Olivia whispered after a few moments, and I smiled softly, turning my head to plant a kiss on hers.

"Goodnight, my dear. Sweet nightmares..."