Chapter 4 - Truth

Jenna was exhausted. Thankful when the last person left, she looked at her mother and busted out crying. "I thought Derrick would come and see me in the hospital. Then I thought he had to work but he would be here tonight."

       Ben walked over and sat on the coffee table by the couch where she was curled up. "Actually, he was here. He watched you open up a lot of your gifts. The more nice and expensive things you opened the more solemn he became. He had a box with him. I watched as he stuffed it into his pocket. He went out back, threw it into the woods, and left."

       "Help me up." Jenna stared at her father who was smiling and shaking his head no. "Why not?"

       "It's not there. You know how my retrievers are, they went and brought it right to me. I hope Max doesn't get sick from having it in his mouth."

       "Why would Max get sick?"

       Her mother sat on the end of the couch and began rubbing Jenna' feet. "Well dear, I think the box is wrapped in a tobacco leaf."

       Her father left but soon came back in, carrying the box. After handing it to Jenna he began taking pictures. "You know tobacco is a sacred plant to many Native American people. Some believe it is a promise. And I do believe the tobacco leaf surrounding your gift is held on with sweet grass, another important plant."

       With shaking hands, Jenna worked until the grass was off the box. Unfolding the tobacco leaf, inside was a tiny cedar box, whittled out of a single piece of wood. On top was carved a moon, a wolf and an image of Mothman. Opening the box, inside was a folded up piece of paper and a ring. Made of cedar, the ring was simply stunning. After studying the carving for several minutes, she slid it onto her ring finger. It fit perfectly.

       Unfolding the paper, she read out loud. "Luna Ray - My life was full of darkness, no joy did I feel. Until you shared your candle with me at winter solstice. The light of your spirit caused hope to grow; hope that someday I would be loved. Thank you for bringing my grandfather's love back to me on summer solstice. Thank you for making me feel again. You almost died helping me find my sister. Forgive me for failing to protect you. This ring I made from a branch of the tree beside our first smudging. Inside it is filled with ashes from our ceremony. The tobacco is a sacred promise, I will always be here for you. I will love you forever. You are sweeter than the grass I will use to tie my promise gift to you. -Grey Wolf"

       Glancing up, her father was still taking pictures through his tears. "Honey, he really understands what life's about. In the end, the love we give and receive is all that matters." Kissed by her parents, she snuggled down to take a nap, clutching the note.

       Jenna was floating again, this time she saw Derrick, sitting on the cliff, her cliff, crying.  There was a circle of spirits around him. They would keep him safe and not allow him to jump.  She needed to do something. Then she noticed the spirit of his grandfather, also floating and looking down. "Will he be safe tonight?"

       "Yes, the elders and grandfathers will not let him jump or hurt himself. He must draw strength as his most important battle is next month."

       "Who is going to try and hurt him?"

       "No one. His most important battle is within. When he forgives his step-father, he will be made whole again."

       She was being pulled back into her body. She entered with a thump. Waking, she leafed through the newspaper as something to do while her mom was cooking and her father watching the news.  Then she saw the notice. Atsadi's land was being auctioned off on the court house steps in a week. No wonder Derrick was working night and day and always trying to save money. He must want to try and purchase the property. Quickly she shared her thoughts with her father. He nodded and smiled at some of her thoughts on what to do.

       Derrick had made his life promise to always be there for her. She needed to show she would always be there for him. There had to be a way to purchase the family land. Deciding she would purchase it and give it to Derrick as a life promise, she shared her decision with her parents. They seemed delighted and promised to keep her efforts secret.

       The Sheriff read the case number and asked for an opening bid. A man made one, then a woman. After a lot of back and forth, the price reached the minimum amount. Then Jenna began bidding. Once the amount reached her savings account balance, she gasped when her father bid from behind her. He kept bidding until Jenna won the property.  After two more places were auctioned off, she and her father followed the sheriff back to his office to do paperwork.

       Derrick came rushing down the sidewalk to the group of people still standing around talking. "Did I miss it? Did my grandfather's place sell?"

       A man in a suit nodded. "Yes Mr. Rainwater, it did. Some crazy woman with blonde hair, long in front, shaved off in the back, wearing a tobacco leaf tied in weeds around her neck and mumbling something about a wolf ran it up in price until she hit her limit. Then this big guy, her father I think, told her he would add to her funds and they bought it. They went to the Sheriff's office to do paperwork. She said she was paying cash."

       Nodding, Derrick rushed back to his truck. "We are too late grandpa, a woman bought it."

       Atsadi nodded and pointed. Looking in the direction he pointed, there was Luna Ray, wearing a T-shirt that read I love Grey Wolf on the back. She had papers in her hand and she was with her father. They were talking to the sheriff. Looking back at his grandfather, he blinked. "Luna Ray bought it?"

       His grandfather nodded yes.

       "Did she tell you she bought it?"

       Again he nodded yes.

       "Why did she buy it?" Glancing, he did a double take as his grandfather patted his heart and then pointed at him. Then Atsadi handed Derrick a picture of Luna Ray blowing a kiss, his ring on her finger. Turning the picture over, on the back she had written, "Jenna Luna Ray Rainwater the day Derrick Grey Wolf Rainwater promised to spend his life with her, loving her and she accepted his solemn promise. Her solemn promise to her warrior is to spend her life loving him and never let him feel lonely again."

       Handing the picture back to his grandfather, he turned and rushed over to Jenna. Her father must have told her he was coming because she turned and opened her arms for him. Scooping her up in his arms, he kissed her. Unable to speak, he hugged her for a long time. Finally he lessened his hold so he could look into her eyes. There, he saw the promise of sunshine and rain, dark times and light, and more love than he could ever have imagined.

       He would teach Luna Ray to love all things mother earth had created. She would teach him to feel, trust and hope again. Together they would rebuild their tribe, to honor those who walked the earthly plain before them. Together they would teach any children they were bless with, step, foster or biological, how to forgive, not judge, and walk in love.

The End.