CHAPTER I

This is my contest entry for PureImagination's short story contest (round one).

* * *

CHAPTER I

There it is again, that 'tingling' feeling. Almost as if there's something crawling underneath my skin. It's happened a few times before, and the pain magnifies every time it happens. This time, it's like knives repeatedly stabbing my skin.

A definite bad omen.

I cannot tell anyone of my concerns, of course. They'd just call me superstitious, and as true as it is, it's not that reassuring. They'd find out about my secret too, which I do not want!

If you haven't already gathered, I am probably the most superstitious female to walk the planet. Friday the 13th alone is enough to give me a panic attack (sad, I know). But I can't help it, the fear is out of my control.

* * *

"Hayalet! I do not recall asking you to just sit there. Will you please perform a handstand for the class?" Mr Morgan, my PE teacher asks impatiently.

"Uh, yes sir," I blush, getting up into a handstand. Suddenly a spasm shoots through my arm, causing me fall. The class erupts in laughter.

I never mess up during gymnastics. This must have something to do with the tingling in my arm- it MUST!

A little while after that embarrassing episode, the bell rings and we all run in a stampede to the changing rooms. I get back into my uniform quickly, as people are already starting to take the Micky. But it's when I'm pulling my jumper over my head, that the tingling comes back, and this time; there's a voice, whispering my name.

"Hayalet," a young voice whispers, it's breath tickling my ear. I spin around but no one's there. Everyone has literally disappeared and the constant drone of students chattering has ceased. I'm on my own. But not for long.

* * *

The bare feet of the translucent figure come first. Then the skinny legs and yellow nightdress. Lastly, a hollow face with brown, straggly hair appears; completing the body of a malnourished child. What is she doing here?

"I need your help," the girl says, "for I am neither alive nor dead. Only you can save me."

Is she a ghost?

"Yes. I suppose I am, just as you are alive. Together we can save each other."

"What do you mean: save each other, and how did you know what I was thinking?" I question.

"I can read minds and have been semi dead for twelve weeks, just as you are twelve weeks pregnant. Soon, you will be too far along to terminate the baby and everyone will find out. You don't want that, do you?" I shake my head.

"But how do you know that I'm pregnant?" I ask, worrying that if a semi dead child can figure it out, then so can everyone else.

"You are a good person who has let her passion and curiosity make her sin, I saw that from your aura. It seems like fate has decided that two sinners can save each other," she explains.

Save each other? Is that even possible?

"It is possible. All you have to do is give the life of your child to me. Then, I can live until I'm old and you won't have to throw your life away to become a teenage mum."

Sounds like a fair deal, I save a life and get rid of the baby, without killing it! I only need to give a one word answer.