18: Sweet Distance

Start from the beginning

“I’m sorry!” she mumbled as she carried the bowl and dishes to the dining table.

“Stupid me! Why didn’t I see him before? Out of all the people, I’d slip in front of him…AGAIN! Great, just great! And how come I did not see him entering the house?” she mumbled to herself. She saw Ronnie taking his seat and filling his dish with food. Kathy sat across his seat awkwardly and debated if she should eat here or inside her room.

“You were busy dancing and did not notice me! And well, I was standing there for quiet sometime, enjoying the show!” Ronnie said, breaking her line of thoughts. And she looked at him with surprise and blushed at the same time.

“You heard me?” she said quietly, but it came out as a question.

“Yeah, I did.” He smiled hoping she was not mad at him. However, once again silence enveloped the room.

“The food’s delicious. Thank you!” he said trying to break the silence and gauge her reaction. Kathy coughed, shocked at his compliment-which was very rare. She felt really weird sitting there with him, so she just walked out the dining room and in to her bed room, ignoring him. He sighed. He had really hurt her. He wondered if she would still consider him a friend. He got up after dinner and cleared the table and washed the plates.

Kathy peeped through her room after she was done eating. She checked if there was any sign of Ronnie near the dining table and when she was sure that he was not sitting there anymore, she walked out and went straight in to the kitchen to finish her work. But she stopped as soon as she saw Ronnie cleaning plates. She felt bad seeing him do that because she knew how tiring it was after coming back home from work. She never worked or helped her mom when she stayed with her parents. She cleared her throat and walked towards him and pushed him away and started cleaning vessels.

“It’s okay, I’ll do it!” he said but she ignored him.

“Say something, anything goddamn it!” he raised his voice a little, her silence driving him mad. This surprised both of them.

“You want me to speak? Remember the first day we met in the office, you said that ‘You don’t like people who speak a lot’?” she said imitating him.

“Well, do you forgive me?” he said ignoring her question, and trying to hide his smile. She kept quiet again and continued doing her work.

“Are we still friends?” he asked finally. It caught her off guard and she actually had to take support of the kitchen counter. She looked at him in the eyes and tried searching some negativity in there. She let out her breath when she didn’t find any.

“I need some time to get that incident out of my head!” she said and though reluctant, he nodded his head and walked away from her.

This is how things remained for days that turned into weeks. Things changed for them professionally after a month passed like this. They were now busy and doing great for themselves, but their ‘issues’ were still to be cleared. Ronnie did not know about Kathy’s dancing yet as they would rarely have a healthy conversation like normal couples do. They did look after each other, even when they did not talk much. Ronnie made sure that he did not piss her any more. While Kathy looked after his apartment and made it a house, she cooked meals even after a hard day; she would make sure he carried homemade food in the office for lunch. She knew that her anger was fading now.

Kathy's dance institute was a place of learning-literally! She knew dancing but now she turned into a vey polished dancer with a great knowledge about every dance form she learnt, its history, the techniques and the adaptation into more advanced versions and new way of same old traditional dances. She worked hard and wanted to join the dance troupe that was soon going for international competitions as she had to earn money and save them for her better future.

Ronnie was now aiming for expansions, he had plans for exploring rural India and the possibilities of making his business grow strong at the Indian base. He was becoming famous and one of the youngest successful entrepreneur. He was sure that he could make it to the young Turks award category.
However, this did not distance the two as something or the other forced them to come closer. They would go out for lunch or dinner with each set of parent or Kathy’s friends would come over to their place or just hang out with the two of them pushing them towards each other. Ronnie would have to take her to his formal business parties and big events. They often went out for movies with Kathy’s friends practically dragging them out of their work places.

Isn’t it strange that all this happened when they weren’t even on proper talking terms? Sure, they cared about each other but they weren’t close enough. They came together only for a reason otherwise, they weren’t even talking! It had been 3months after their wedding and they were so close yet so far from each other!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 Please Vote / Comment / Follow me / Share this story if you like it.

Thanks for reading!

-Hemii :)