Chapter Eleven

Brandon

Two days. It had been two days since I told her I loved her. Since I went too far and scared her. Since I ruined everything. I hadn't seen her. She still texted me, but I knew she was freaked out. How could I be so stupid? I slapped my forehead in disgust. I couldn't just give up though because I wasn't lying I really did love her. I loved her. Three words I hadn't uttered to anyone besides my family in my entire life. I needed to make it right. I decided to go to the bookstore and talk to her. Try and let her know I didn't mean to pressure her. She didn't have to say it back.

When I walked into the bookstore I scanned it and didn't see her. I did see Tim, the guy who threaded my privates if I hurt her, and that made me nervous.

"Brandon." he stated, his expression unreadable.

"Hello sir." I babbled like a high school kid meeting the girlfriends dad for the first time.

"Let's talk in my office shall we?" He motioned to the back of the store. "Kelvin can you watch the store for a minute?" He said to a kid shelving some books.

"Sure thing" the kid answered.

I followed him into his office and be sat behind his desk and he motioned for me to sit in the chair across from him. Now I felt like I was in the principle's office. I was terrified, and it I didn't know how to handle it. I had never cared about any parents of any of my girlfriends. Then it dawned on me that it really mattered, because Alex mattered.

"Relax son. I'm not gonna yell at you." He softly chuckled.

I relaxed a bit, but not much. "So what do you want to talk to me about?" I muttered.

"You tell me. I know something happened, but she won't tell me. She keeps saying everything is fine. That you didn't break up that you guys are good. But I can tell she's bothered by something."

"Ummm well I..." I stuttered. How do I tell him? Would he be mad?

"Just spit it out. I can't help you if you don't tell me." he insisted.

"You want to help me?" I asked quite shocked.

"Of course. You've put a smile on her face that I've never seen before. She is finally acting her age, and I think it's incredible." He smiled.

I returned the smile. He really loved her. Well here goes nothing.

I took a deep breath "I told her I loved her." I closed my eyes and held my breath expecting a blowout.

"Ohhh." he said after a few agonizing moments. "And do you?"

I let out my breath and looked at him confused.

"Love her?" He continued.

"Oh." I said finally understanding him. Well I had come this far might as well tell him the truth. "Yes I do."

"Well okay then. Well first you have to understand how scared she must be right now. I know she told you what happened to her. What you don't know is that her experience with that monster is her only social experience."

I nodded. I knew this.

"I don't think you get it. She hasn't been on a date, she hasn't even gone out with a female friend because she doesn't have any. She has no idea how relationships of any kind work because the only relationship she has had was one full of abuse. She's never had a first crush kiss or first date or first anything else for that matter. So to go from first boyfriend to first love in a matter of days must have been terrifying."

I was shocked. All I could do was put my head in my hands. I never thought of that. Then memories of her at my house came flooding back. I should have took things much slower.