Chapter 2

"And still, I am not known to them. Not truly."

By the time I got back to my den, stars were already sprinkled across the sky, shimmering like silver glitter.

I stooped down low to squeeze under the sagging entrance, heavy from fallen branches in the bone-hollowing storm that had blown over our valley a few nights ago. I felt dry pine needles prick at my rump and sticks jab into my silver, smooth fur.

With an irritated growl, I threw the hare inside my round den, and pulled myself out with not much effort, causing the lip of the den to collapse.

With a muffled grunt, I slid my paw around the side of the den as not to step on the top to make it collapse further, and sunk my teeth into the largest branch. It was an awkward pull, and a dry leaf kept causing me to slip, but eventually I had pulled the branch off the top.

It was a miracle it hadn't collapsed further.

Without the branch left there, it seemed rather awkward. Plus, I had pulled it off, dragging it along the top. Usually a den would be sturdy and strong, built into the ground, but mine had been based off a hollow tree, which had rotted and fallen apart.

Where the branch used to be, the pine needles, leaves and twigs had been going rotten from the dampness of the branch. It had made a long line where I had dragged it across, some where the roofing had fallen through.

I grabbed another branch, hauling it over without making it touch the roofing, and then the next, thin, yet largely spread, spindly branch.

Eventually I grabbed a mouthful of dried pine needles, leaves and twigs, and just dropped it on the roof. I cringed at the taste, but I was hungry enough to do a reckless job and then squeeze back inside the shaggy entrance.

Once inside, I shook my fur and began to ravenously gulp down the hare. The sweet, fatty taste of it's flesh brought my energy back.

My belly thick with meat I lay down, resting my narrow head on my two paws and waiting for sleep to take me in its warm embrace. I was tired, that was for sure, but soon the Pack of Running Wind would be hunting and I didn't plan to miss it. A few minutes later, sleep had welcomed me and I had drifted off into the world of dreams.

I woke with a jolt. Pawing an eye I yawned, still dreary from my sleep but ready to get up. After a moment I stood up, shook my fur, and then squeezed out of my den. The chilly night air bit at my skin as I padded towards the lake which I would once more wade across.

As soon as I was across the river and into the Pack of Running Wind's territory, I shook the icy water out of my fur and crept forward. The hunting spot was close by, and I didn't want to be seen by the pack.

Wolves are, as you may or may not know, quite nearsighted. Our night vision is exceptional, far better than some other animals--humans, for instance--but we can only see our packmates at beyond about one hundred to one hundred and fifty feet. I may have been the 'Silver Wolf' but my seeing was no better than theirs, and so I knew that as soon as I could see them, they could see me.

I wasn't that special.

However, it wasn't them who stopped me in their tracks to listen and watch and see if they caught the elk. Instead it was another voice. Another two voices, in fact, and only one which I recognised. The other voice sounded male. I wasn't sure who it was.

Slowly I began to creep towards the voices, take refuge under the shadows of bushes and behind thick clusters of leaves and swathes of ferns.

Then I saw them.

It was Adira--the only wolf I recognised there--who was standing before a male wolf, her tilted to look up at him. He was a grey wolf with thick muscles and thick, woolly fur, someone whom I thought looked quite kind and knowing. But what was he doing in the Pack of Running Wind's territory?

"I hold your pups, Ekon." She whispered, her eyes wide and sorrowful. As she said his name I began to vaguely remember who he was--someone who has left the packs in search of a mate a long time ago. From which pack he came from, I couldn't remember.

Ekon looked down at Adira and then responded in an equally soft voice, "isn't that a good thing? Don't you want to start a life? We can go make a new pack, Adira. Wouldn't that be good? Wouldn't you like that?"

Adira looked town between staying and going. I knew that she was one of the most loyal wolves of the Pack of Running wind, besides Aiofe, and so doing this would be difficult.

"I can't." She finally whispered after a moment's hesitation, her ears now laid flat against her skull and her eyes wide as if she feared what Ekon's response would be. His tail raised slightly and his ears also laid flat.

"Fine then, Adira, but remember--you had your chance, and you blew it. What's everyone going to think of the pups, anyway?" Ekon growled.

I watched carefully, wondering what was going to happen.

"I don't know, but I can't leave the pack." Adira's voice had strengthened and now she sounded more confident than before. I watched with interest to see what Ekon's response to this would be.

"Well then I suppose you'll have to raise your pups fatherless!" He snarled, and then turned and raced away. I could feel the wind pass me as he ran beside the bush I had taken shelter in, and saw Adira look a little sad.

Slowly I crept away from the scene, wondering how I didn't know more about this. Surely if they'd met up before I'd have known? I twitched my ear. I guess some things did get by me. But, with all three packs to watch, it wasn't as if I could be everywhere.

It was not long before I had neared the Pack of Running Wind, catching their scent on the wind and hearing the faint voices of low chatter. I approached quietly, head low, belly brushing the ground. Everyone was there except for Adira; I expected she'd been tasked with watching over the pups, but had left her duties to visit Ekon. I hoped that the pups hadn't run into trouble - not only for their sake's, but for Adira as well; if something happened to them, it would be on Adira, and she'd be in deep trouble.

It was not long before they reached the hunting grounds. A herd of elk was not far off, clustered together tightly as they grazed. The pack crept through the long grass, and I stayed back, watching with my two crystal eyes as they separated to scout out a weak elk. One with an injury, or that was riddled with sickness that slowed it down. It was not long before Aiofe, the second in command, signaled the rest of the pack to a slightly smaller, more scrawny elk, with a clear limp.

Slowly the hunt played out. The elk scattered as the pack began to charge for the chosen animal, and the chase began. I watched, feeling an envy boil inside me. Wishing I had been part of a pack; wishing whatever had come that night hadn't. I just wanted to find my brothers and my mother. I just wanted to have a family again.

My eyes glazed over as I was lost in thought, but I snapped out of it as I heard a victory howl. The elk had been brought down. Traditionally, the one who killed the elk would thank them for their life, as it brought new life towards the pack, and prosperity. The elk were respected, even though they were hunted.

As they began to eat, I crept away.

I stopped by their camp on the way. Adira was lying down, watching the pups tackle each other. She looked torn; I didn't expect that Kriemhelde and Isoba would be pleased to hear that she bore the cubs of an outsider.

I watched for a moment more before tearing myself away and trotting back to the river. I crossed it slowly, wondering what the rest of the day would hold.

- - -

So, yeah, I know it's been like... a year or something since I last updated, but I just found this old account and figured - why not? I'll probably try to keep updating this as much as possible, but I'm not sure what will happen. Any advice? :3