Chapter 4

He finishes the song and Blaine stands to applaud him, along with the rest of the glee club. Mr. Schue raises from his seat and stands next to Kurt. "I think I speak for all of us when I say," he turns to Kurt, "Welcome to Glee Club, Kurt!" Mr. Schue pats Kurt on the back and Kurt smiles shyly while walking to the seat next to Blaine. Mr. Schue starts the lesson and Blaine leans over to Kurt's ear. "Why didn't you tell me you could sing like that?," he whispers excitedly. "Blaine, literally the first thing I told you about me is that I sing," he responds in a whisper. "Yeah, you said 'I sing', not 'I sing like an angel straight from heaven', which is what you should've said if you wanted to tell me the truth," Blaine answers before realizing he might've said that a little more bluntly than intended. Kurt opened his mouth to reply but was quickly cut off by Mr. Schue's louder than before voice, "So guys, this week's theme is... Sam, Puck, drumroll, please." Two boys, who must have been the 'Sam and Puck' Mr. Schuester had mentioned, started slapping their thighs in a mock drumroll for a few seconds before Mr. Schue broke their rhythm. "Duets!"

The meeting ended and Kurt and Blaine were walking to the parking lot together. Blaine suddenly spoke up. "Uh, are you familiar with the Lima Bean?," he asked coyly. "If you are referring to something other than the bean itself then, I'm not, actually. Enlighten me?," Kurt replied with a normal tone. "Well, it's a coffee shop, not far from here actually, and they have really great.. uh, coffee," Blaine replied, still afraid of Kurt's answer. "Well let's go then. I have a few hours to waste before my dad gets home from the shop and even then I'm sure he wouldn't mind waiting a little bit if I told him I actually made some friends on my first day," Kurt said confidently. Blaine smiled widely and told Kurt to follow him. They both got in their cars and Blaine pulled out first, Kurt following behind him until they reached the coffee shop a few minutes later.

Blaine meets Kurt at his door and walks him through the cold December air to the door of the coffee shop. He holds open the door for Kurt and waves him in as he follows behind him with a huge smile on his face. They both get hit with the smell of fresh coffee beans and pastries as they enter the building. Blaine rushes to the counter first and says to the woman behind it, "I'd like a medium drip, and whatever he wants," with a smile. "Um, a grande non-fat mocha, please," Kurt says shyly to the woman and reaches for his wallet. He pulls out some cash and holds it out. Blaine smacks the hand holding the five-dollar bill away and looks up to Kurt with a smile as she hands the woman his own five. "My treat."

Their names are both called, they are handed their cups, and Blaine ushers Kurt to a table in the corner of the shop. They sit down and Kurt takes a sip of his coffee. "Mm, wow. You weren't lying when you said the coffee is really good. I thought you were just saying that so you could take me on a date," Kurt says with a sly smile and a wink. "I- This is a date? I wasn't trying to-," "Blaine, calm down. I would've come if it were a date or not." They smiled at each other and sat in silence for a few minutes. Not awkward silence, though. This was a nice type of silence. Comfortable silence. "So, is this a date, then?," Blaine said bashfully finally breaking the silence. "Do you want this to be a date? Because if you're willing to go on a date with the weird new kid on his first day, then be my-" "Yes. I want this to be a date," Blaine interrupts. "Well," Kurt looks up to Blaine through his eyelashes with a smile, "It's a date then."

They finish up their coffees and Blaine stands up first. "So, if this is a date, and you still have a little bit of time," Blaine looks to Kurt until he nods his head back, "then let's do something other than sit in a coffee shop." "Okay, and what are you thinking?," Kurt asks with a sparkle in his eyes. "Well, let's weigh out our options. We could go see a movie, or go get some real food, or go to the mall.." "I'm kinda hungry. But the mall sounds good too. You pick," Kurt declares with a smile. "Okay, how about this. Let's go drop your car off at your house so you aren't wasting gas, and then we can go eat at Breadstix, and then I'll take you home. Maybe we can go to the mall some other time. Sound good?," Blaine asks. "Sounds great," Kurt answers with a small grin.

Blaine follows Kurt out of the parking lot to his house. They both pull into the empty driveway and Kurt runs to Blaine's door. "I just have to run in and get a few more dollars, I only brought five," Kurt starts to walk away and Blaine opens his door and says Kurt's name. "You don't need any money, this is a date, remember? I've got it covered," Blaine says with a smile as he walks to the other side of the car and opens the passenger door. He waves his arm into the seat for Kurt and Kurt quickly runs around the side of the car, plopping gracefully into the passenger seat. When Blaine gets in the driver's side, he looks over to Kurt to see him smiling at the floor and wringing his hands together nervously. "Are you okay?," he asks with concern. "I'm fine," Kurt answers with a nervous smile, "I've just never.. done this before." His voice fades as he finishes the sentence, realizing how embarrassing it is that he, a 17 year old boy, has never been on a date before. "I haven't either," he hears Blaine say reassuringly. "Really?," Kurt asks, unbelievingly. "Really. And I'm glad to hear that it seems like I have because I'm really just copying movies and hoping for the best," Blaine says, only half joking.

They make it to Breadstix and are enjoying their meals when Kurt's phone begins to buzz on the table and lights up with the word "Dad" plastered on the screen. Kurt apologizes, picks up his phone, and holds it up to his ear. "Hi, Dad." Blaine listens to see if he can hear what the man responds but all he can hear is a deep humming coming from the small speaker pressed to Kurt's ear. "Yeah, I'm fine, I'm just out with a friend." Humming. "Yes, Dad, I made a friend. Two actually. And I joined the glee club." Blaine heard a surprised hum and then a more questioning one soon after. "It's singing, Dad." Blaine makes out the words, "Oh, okay" from the phone and Kurt finishes up the conversation, telling his dad that he'll be home in a little bit and hangs up the phone. "Do you need to go home?," Blaine asks. "I probably should, he wants to talk more about my first day," Kurt responds. "No problem, let me pay and then we'll head out," Blaine stands and walks to the counter. Kurt gets up from his seat and puts his coat on to wait for Blaine. He comes back and picks up his keys from the table and they walk toward the doors.

Blaine opens Kurt's car door for him again and then gets in his own seat and starts the car. They pull out of the parking lot and start driving toward Kurt's house. Blaine reaches over and turns up the radio and Kurt sings along quietly to a Lady Gaga song that is coming through the speakers. Blaine smiles at the sound of this but doesn't want to say anything in fear that Kurt would stop. The singing is interrupted by Kurt's phone making a noise. He looks down to read a text. He looks up to Blaine. "My dad wants to meet you," he says nervously, "Is that okay? I mean, I can tell him that you have to get home or-" "It's fine, Kurt. I'll meet him," Blaine replies nonchalantly. Kurt turns back to face the road with a smile.

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Sorry for the length of this one! I got a little carried away and didn't know where to split it up. What are you guys thinking so far? Any suggestions? Thanks for reading!