Chapter One : Unseen, Unloved

Alone. Its how I have always been. Fate is so cruel to have already sealed my fate. It led down a path away from the world. A place where the present cannot reach.  I have eyes that can see the future. Sometimes, I often forget that I live in the present or that there was even such a thing.

Whenever I was thirteen, I ran away from it all. I know, It was stupid. I had no where else to go. But how could I have stayed with people that I would only hurt? Even when I was young, I knew that I only caused other's pain. I never looked my parents in the eye, afraid of what I would see. In fact, I never looked anyone in the eye. I was cast off and left alone. In school, I was bullied. they called me a freak. If only they knew.

Over the years, I learned how to look at people without really looking. I absolutely hated it. But still, it was far better than the alternative. I never went back home.

I am now seventeen years old. I managed to hold down a job. Its already been a year. I live in a small one-bedroom apartment. The past can finally be called the past.

One night, I got off work late. It was so dark. I grabbed a flashlight from my purse and flipped it on. I know, who carries a flashlight? Apparently I do. I turned the corner onto my house and had almost,almost made it. I saw lights and heard a scream. I continued walking. But then, I tripped. Something was on the ground, dark and slick.Fear closed off my throat and I could not speak. Could not move. Because in front of me were five people. Five people who had just killed a man.

I turned to run away, but a hand reached out and grabbed my arm. I struggled. I was shoved to the ground and saw a flash of silver.  These men were not human. I could see it in their eyes, which shone like pure silver. It was an unnatural color.I closed my eyes and gave out a small whimper. I heard a laugh and the man's arm shifted. No words were spoken.I knew I was going to die. I heard a thud. And the pressure above me was released. I decided to open my eyes. I saw a flash of silver once again and then it was lights out.

When I awoke, it was morning. I turned over and my alarm said 10:30. Looks like I slept in late. I sighed. I guess last night didn't really happen. I melted into the pillows and almost smiled. But then, the door to my room opened and a boy appeared. I lurched out of bed and winced.

"Hey now, don't get so worked up. You're injured."

"W-Who are you?" I didn't look at his face. I searched for something I could use as a weapon.

"I'm your knight in shining armor, of course. You told me so in your sleep." Then his face suddenly went serious. "Did those men from last night see your face? Did they?"I froze in my search. He sounded so worried. But he was a stranger.

"Hey, will you look at me and give me an answer?!" He appeared in front of me. Shocked, I lowered my head. His hands gently tilted my eyes toward his. I struggled to pull myself away, but he was too strong. My eyes met his. 

I froze, bracing myself for my nightmare to begin. I couldn't avoid it this time. I clenched my fists and tears swam in my vision. But then, nothing came. Absolutely nothing. My tears fell freely then. Why was I crying, especially sense there was a stranger in my room?

The boy had jumped away from the bed at the sight of my tears. I decided that he didn't seem dangerous, but I didn't lower my guard around him.

"A-are you alright?Do you hurt anywhere. I didn't mean to scare you. Aw crap, I haven't even told you anything!" He looked up at me and I automatically flinched. But there it was again. Absolutely nothing.

"My name's James. I got you away from those men last night. They almost killed you, you know. Wait, um, I didn't mean to say that. Sorry." He blushed and stretched out his hand. "Its nice to meet you."

All I could do was stare at him. Who was this guy? He saved me? From five huge men?

"Do you know who those guys were?"I asked him.

He frowned."It would be better if you didn't know but you deserve to hear the truth. Though, you probably won't believe me,anyway." He pulled the chair from my computer desk over to the bed and sat down.

I wasn't used to talking to people,but he didn't seem any better at it than I was, so I felt a little better. How was I supposed to act? What was I supposed to believe?

James cleared his throat nervously."Um, shall we start?"

I nodded, too afraid to speak.

"Okay, here goes nothing." He looked directly into my eyes. "Those men were not human," he said, a little bluntly.

I stared at him,"Well, that is....not completely unbelievable."

"It isn't? Well then, I'll explain in full."

The men you saw, they're called the Unseen, because they have a force field that blocks them from all mental attacks. So even though you can see them, you're not seeing everything. They block their mind, making it seem as if they're not even there, so it is easier for them to hide from the ones that try to kill them. They're not all big, ugly men, though. Some can turn into a whole other form, another being in itself. A demon." Another pause."In fact, I'm one of them." He paused, waiting for my reaction.

"But you aren't anything like those men. You're eyes, they're normal."

He stared at me. "Its because I'm a half-bred that I can appear normal. I'm what you would say, unloved, by both worlds. I have always been alone because I am different. But, I'm guessing, you aren't what you seem, either. I sense something inhuman about you."

"B-both of my parents are normal!" I sputtered.

"Oh? Or did they just seem that way? Unless you want me to assume that you were adopted."

"My name is Lucy Nevera! I know who I am. Its true that I gave it up, but at least I know what I gave up!"

"Lucy...Nevera? I've heard that name somewhere." His eyes widened. "It can't be....You're the one They were after....the one with the strange power that could see past the Unseen.

"See past....the Unseen?" Now I was definitely confused, I didn't know what to believe. I could't ignore the evidence in front of me, though. He knew about my 'power'. And They did, too. Whoever They were. I was going to find out who these people were and what they wanted with me. I was going to acknowledge the past at last. Its been four years since I ran away, four very long and lonely years.

"If you want, I could take you to them. They're not bad people. We need your help in this war against the Unseen. The question is, are you willing to hear them out?"

I stood up from the bed. "Please take me to these people. I need to know. Everything."