Chapter 1:

BURN: CHAPTER 1

    I began my new life in a hospital bed. Don't ask how I knew what a hospital was, or a bed. I didn't even remember my own name.

    My head throbbed slowly when I sat up as gently as I could, sweeping my fuzzy and unclear gaze across the room. It was like someone had put a thin layer of ice in front of my eyes. A blurred screen.

    Something beeped erratically in a corner. The room was white, and boring, I was alone.

    I met the first human in my new life in the hospital as well; she was short and had dark blonde hair. She must've been about 17. Probably on work experience.

    I watched her with eyes that were clearing rapidly. She was carrying a tray with what looked like a cup of hastily blended strawberries and sausages, with little floating pieces. A reflex gagging noise escaped my mouth, and the girl looked up in shock. To my delight the 'smoothie' fell of the tray and onto the ground and spilt everywhere. Including on her hospital apron.

    "Wha-," work experience girl choked. She took a step back and started running out of the room, practically tripping over her own feet. Her reaction didn't exactly suggest that she was happy to see me conscious. She didn't expect me to be conscious. What happened to me?

    The girl was probably going to inform her boss of my unwelcome and evidently surprising awakening. I groaned, rubbing my eyes.

    I wasn't exactly in the mood to try and bail myself out of this situation.

    I viewed the room with slightly more clarity, noticing the wide window spilling light into the generic hospital room. The window was wide enough for a person to slide through comfortably. A good escape route if the need arose.

    Right. Because it's totally normal to be thinking about jumping through windows.

    The door on the other side of the room swung open suddenly, creaking in protest. "Don't move a muscle!" screeched the red faced pudgy little man who entered abruptly.

    Almost unconsciously I raised an eyebrow. The little man seemed to shrink a little at the tiny insignificant movement, or at least his ego seemed to deflate slightly. It must be a surprise to see the involuntary comatose awake.

    He coughed slightly then regained his confidence. "You should not be moving!" he squeaked on nervously, any resolve he previously had wiped, "Because you were just on life support and should be practically dead!"

    I abruptly realised all of the wires hooked to my body, trailing across the room, all connected to the same beeping machine. The machines' beeps began to blend into a high whine, as if it was fretting over its discovery.

    Frowning and almost wincing with the state of un-use my muscles and limbs were in, I ripped all of the cords I could get my hands on, and tugged until they came out, leaving small angry red patches pockmarking otherwise flawless pale skin. The machine died with a whine of protest. I threw the tangling wires to the floor, taking into memory the intricate and interesting patterns they made.

    Pudgy man stared at me in horror, then shock, "Y-you're still alive!" he stuttered, shocked.

    "Apparently," I replied. My voice husky yet threatening. If I wasn't just waking up and getting used to whoever I was again I would say I was used to giving orders. But for now, my voice closely resembled the sound of metal scraping metal.

    Even in that single, somewhat choked word, I still sounded like I had a whole angry army at my disposal, the thought both attractive and equally daunting.

    Pudgy man must've been thinking the same sorts of army related thoughts and was suddenly turning an unhealthy shade of white.

    "Who are you?" He looked terribly confused and shocked, stumbling out of my little room as quickly as his small chubby body could. I did have to admit that it was a valid question. A really good one.

    The light outside the window got progressively darker, until it settled at a dark navy blue, pockmarked with twinkling white specks. Stars.

    It really was a wonderful view, especially because I didn't have to leave the bed.

    The midnight sky reminded me of my skin. A full colour marked by an opposite. Blue, white. White, blood red.

    My head hurt and my throat and tongue felt like sandpaper. I felt as though my head was bleeding. Like something was very wrong with it. There probably was, considering I didn't even remember who I was.

    I didn't know who I was. I woke up in a hospital, I scared some staff. And that completed my life.

    What happened? How did I get here? How old am I? Who am I?

    Nobody bothered with entering my room and the dark abyss of sleep was calling me. Who knew ripping yourself out of life support and saying a single word could be so tiring? I don't think I did.

    Actually, yes. Yes, I think I might've.