Chapter 2: Trusted

Arum perched on a tree branch, her vine-entwined tail curling slightly as it dangled off the wood. Quite a few feet below her, a meeting was held. The Earth Leader's corpse lay on a flat rock- a tradition, she had learned from her time in the Earth Pack. Morbid, perhaps, but the Earths were worshippers of tradition. Meanwhile, a grey-brown wolf stood to the dead leader's right- Allen, the son of the dead wolf. Arum couldn't help but feel a bit of pity for the canine. At this stage in the war, at this moment of chaos, the young wolf was supposed to lead a whole pack. Honestly, she couldn't imagine Allen doing such a thing.

Oh, well. This was all part of the plan, after all. And she could do nothing to stop it.

As the crowd gathered, Arum grew tense. One wrong move, and she would get caught. Sure, she could have left earlier, but she wanted to see what would happen next. It wasn't often a leader died, after all.

She lifted a paw to rid it of the drying blood, but froze as she heard the rapid beat of paws on snow. Another Earth approached, though this one hopped and flailed in an attempt to get a wolf's attention. A bulky wolf, this one brown-black and grim like the winter trees, stepped towards them, fur bristling in irritation. One of the previous leader's advisors- Arum looked around, trying to pinpoint the second, soon concluding that the wolf wasn't there. Why they would miss such an important occasion, she didn't know. As wolves began to fill up the area, the vines that coiled down Arum's limbs and tail tightened as she tried to appear smaller; they surely wouldn't notice a small canine on a branch, would they?

Her theory proved correct, as nobody chose to glance up at the trees. There was nothing to see anyways- the branches were ugly, dark, and snowy. Arum's smaller size and dark vines allowed her to hide well among them, if she did say so herself.