Chapter 2

Joe's POV: 

The building before me towered over the two of us, blocking the sunlight from my view. It had many hundred windows and a gigantic carpark beside it. Below the windows, orange lines seeped down, trying to escape from the disgust within them.

I had heard about the 'Cattersby Block' as a little kid. The kids at my school bullied a girl called Victoria who lived in Cattersby Block, the tower of flats before me. I head that she had moved to a different town now, so this place must  be really bad.

Daniel wasn't far in front of me, and was pacing quite fast. 

"C'mon mate, I've got some Curry cooking for us!" He urged me, smiling. 

I shot him a smile back but it quickly grimaced when his eyesight was no longer focused upon me. Why ever I agreed to come with him was beyond me. He just seemed like a really nice person. He knew my dad, so that should be okay. Apparently he was good friends with Uncle Dylan too, so I bet he would see me at the flat. 

I thrust my hand inside of my pocket to retrieve my phone and call my dad. My mouth gaped open. I couldn't believe it.

My phone was in my bag.

My bag was in my den. 

My den was in the forest.

I looked back at the forest that was growing smaller with each step I took. I couldn't just run back and get my bag now. I'd have to get it later.

Finally, we reached the double doors leading into the damp and disgusting smelling building. 

The ground floor was empty and quickly, the elevator button was pressed by Daniel. 

"Which floor you on?" I asked as he tapped his foot impatiently.

"Does it matter?" he snapped as the doors slid sleekly open. 

Suddenly, his large palms and fingers shoved me into the elevators.

"What are you doing?" I pleaded, as he clung onto the back of my school jumper.

"Shut up," he hissed toward me. I sunk back. He was probably just edgy or something. 

Then I realized.

This man was kidnapping me. 

I slammed hard on the buttons at once, hoping that the elevator would go down to the ground floor.

"You idiot!" Daniel screamed. 

His hand collided into my head and his face became black, followed by the remainder of my vision. 

Dylan's POV: 

----- THE MORNING AFTER -----

The sound of clunking dishes awoken me from my sleep. I had had a dream and was glad that I had been withdrawn from it.

It was a childhood memory dream. I was on the boat, with Emma, Robert, Jessica, Yasmine and Megan. How much I missed Jessica and Megan was unreal. There wasn't a day that went by that I wouldn't think about them.

We had been sitting in the boat before the pale faces of my two beautiful daughters floated by, the bodies floating motionless on the water. That's where it ended.

My mind was sick and twisted.

I stomped down the stairs, unaware that I had still yet to dress. I turned left into the kitchen where Robert was scrubbing incredibly hard at a bowl.

"I'll do them mate," I offered.

"No, its just a way of saying thank you for letting me stay last night," he replied.

"Its alright, its what friends do," I retreated, taking the cloth from his hand.

"I miss him so much," he whispered, his eyes glaring at his feet.

"Well, we're going to look for his phone today, so that's good isn't it?" I asked him.

"I want him, Dylan!" He exclaimed.

"I know, I know..."

"NO YOU DON'T KNOW!" He screamed, swiping the pots from the marble sides and onto the floor, where they shattered into small sharp shards.

"ROB!" I grabbed him, thrusting him into the living room.

"I'm so sorry, let me clean it up!" He offered, I pushed him back. 

"Just sit down!" I shouted. 

I waited until he'd calmed down, then took out my phone and called the maid I occasionally asked to come and clean. She accepted gracefully and I said that I'd leave £50 on the table, and the key in the plant pot. 

I retrieved some bland clothes from my closet before inviting Robert into the car and driving him over to his house. 

I watched as he left my car and entered his house, in search of some clothes that didn't stink. 

Suddenly, Emma's face lit up on my phone, and I slid it across and placed it to my ear.

"Hello?" I greeted.

"Hi. Have you heard any news?" Emma asked.

"Not yet, me and Rob are allowed to go with the police, and look for the phone." 

The conversation didn't travel on for long as finally, Charlie had shouted her in the background. She hung up the phone in sync with the opening of the passenger door. 

Robert was dressed in different clothes that he wore yesterday, blue jeans and a light blue polo, and looked much better. 

I drove the car down the street, no dialogue forming between us. Finally, we reached the woods just past 'Chesterton High School', the school at which Joe attended. 

Several police cars are parked within a short distance of a few trees, and I slowly turned off the roaring engine. 

We both clambered out of the car and made our way over to the discussing officers.

"Are you Mr Varley?" a tall blonde haired woman questions me with an inquisitive look upon her face.

"No, I'm a family friend, this is Robert," I gestured towards Robert with my hand and she nods.

"Well, we tracked your sons phone and before we could pin it, we lost the track. We think this is either due to some sort of interference like it's ran out of battery, or it has been purposely turned off. All we know is that the phone is somewhere within these woods," she informed us. A man stood impeccably still beside her, his eyes furrowed and his face stern.

"Okay," Robert sighs.

"If you find anything please do not touch it and just call us over. If you do alter any of the evidence you..." the woman is cut sharply off. 

"could be arrested for the deliberate interference of an investigation, got it?" the strange man speedily spoke.

I nodded as a reply and entered the woods. 

With every footstep I took, I could feel the branches crunch beneath my feet. The leaves rustled up above me and pigeons swarmed the area.

"OVER HERE!" I hear a screech from nearby. I race to where Robert is standing, staring intently at a bag within a branch-twisted canopy. 

"Is that Joe's?" I question. 

He nodded as a tear ran down his face and onto the ground, splattering just next to another drop of liquid. 

I bent down to stare at the drop that hadn't been omitted from Robert's eye, and gasp with shock. 

This drop wasn't a tear drop.

It was blood.