"Th - thank you," Sirius shivered. He struggled to hold the tea cup, the saucer clattering beneath it as he lifted it to his lips and felt the burn of the firewhiskey as he sipped. It was hot and though it scalded his tongue just a bit, he sipped it deeply anyway, eager to feel the warmth in his belly. Charlus waved his wand and the saucer levitated beside Sirius so that he had a place to rest the teacup when he was done sipping, but he wrapped his hands around the cup instead, soaking in every ounce of heat he could get.

Charlus was sitting in his own chair across the room, and Dora perched on the arm while James stayed kneeling at Sirius's foot, staring up at his friend with wide eyes. When Sirius had been given a chance to thaw out, Charlus asked, "What were you doing out this late at night, son?" He looked at Sirius with a stern expression, "There's untold dangers out there, with You-Know-Who's men running amok all about the city."

Sirius replied, "It's not anymore dangerous out there than it was in my own house."

Dora glanced at Charlus, their eyes met, and she asked, "What happened, dear?"

"Mother and Father... they're dark wizards," Sirius said, he looked at James, "They killed the Bells."

James and Charlus looked so much alike it was comical as their eyes both widened and their jaws dropped and they both explained, "No way!" in near perfect unison.

Dora touched her husband's arm. "It was the Blacks that killed them?" Charlus asked, tremulously.

"That's a very strong accusation to make," Dora commented, "How do you know?"

"It's according to my little brother, Regulus," Sirius replied, "He says he hears things, living at home, that Mother and Father trust him. Then he said that the Bells were bad wizards and that Lord Voldemort never makes a command without there being a good reason... and when I accused Mother, she didn't deny it. She didn't even flinch an eye."

Charlus looked to the window, as though half expecting to see Walburga and Orion Black staring in with their wide, cruel grins. He waved his wand to close the curtains tighter.

"I just couldn't stay there," Sirius said thickly, "Knowing what they'd done, what they are. I just couldn't. I didn't have any place else to go. I wandered about for a bit before I remembered the ticket you sent me, James, and then I came here as quick as I could."

"You'll stay, of course," Dora said quickly.

"For the night," Charlus added.

Dora looked up at her husband.

"Thank you," Sirius said graciously.

James stood up, "You can use some of my pyjamas, if you didn't bring any. I've got extra."

Sirius put his nearly empty teacup on the little saucer. "Alright."

"And you can sleep in my room," James added, "It'll be brilliant, like at Hogwarts, except my room is really cool! Wait 'til you see, you'll like it, I have loads of Quidditch stuff and -- ooh, maybe we can go out to the field and play a round tomorrow, like a one-on-oner, we'll have loads of fun and if you stay through Christmas, oh Sirius, mum makes the best butterscotch cookies --" James eagerly dragged his friend out of the room and up the stairs, his voice fading as he went prattling on and on until finally it cut off as he closed his bedroom door behind them.

Dora was still perched on the edge of her chair. She looked across the room, where Charlus was leaning against the mantle, staring down at the fire, his face a nervous line. Dora took a deep breath and stood up. "For the night only?" she asked quietly.

Charlus's lips tightened at her words and he frowned into the warmth, his eyes sad. He said, "They could be looking for him. What's to stop them doing to us what they've done to John and Penny?" he asked, talking about the Bells.