Defense, Cancelled

Defense, Cancelled

The next morning, the Great Hall was abuzz with the news that all Defense Against the Dark Arts classes for Monday were cancelled. James and Sirius exchanged ominous, knowing glances. "But why?" James asked Bilius, incredulous, "Not that I'm complaining about getting some time off, but – why's it been cancelled for, do you know?"

Bilius shrugged, "Apparently Tutman's gone," he replied. "Don't know any details, though, mate. Sorry." He looked at Remus with meaningfully raised eyebrows, then turned and walked on down the table to join Derek and the other Quidditch team players.

James looked 'round at the others. "Obviously this has something to do with what happened last night," Sirius said, taking the words right out of James's mouth. "Dumbledore must've found out what's gone on!"

"Wonder when we'll have a new Defense teacher?" wondered Remus, staring up at the staff table.

"I hope whoever it is doesn't know about that essay Tutman assigned us last week, I haven't had time to finish it!" Peter said.

The boys ate quickly then hurried out to the entrance hall, planning on waiting around until Dumbledore came out to inquire of him what happened with Tutman, but before Dumbledore got up from the staff table, Lucius Malfoy sauntered up from the dungeons for a late breakfast, his face looking a bit peaky. He glowered at the four of them, "What're you doing, lurking about in the entrance hall?" he demanded, "Oughtn't you be in class?"

Sirius's mouth twisted in a wicked smirk, "Well it seems, Lucius, that our class has been cancelled due to the fact that Professor Tutman's been sent off by Dumbledore so you can't imperius him anymore. Or didn't you hear the news yet?"

James smirked, too, and gave Sirius a slick high-five.

Lucius's face didn't twitch in the least. He allowed them to have their moment of congratulations, and then, in a very calm voice, he replied, "Sent off by Dumbledore? Gracious, no. Professor Tutman had a family emergency, you see. Had to go home right away. Most inconvenient time, of course, with the accusations you lot have made... but you can't control emergencies, can you?"

"Apparently you can," Sirius growled.

Lucius's mouth thinned into the tightest of smiles. "I'd watch myself, if I were you," he said, his voice low. He turned and started into the Great Hall, then stopped at the door way, turning back, his eyes twinkling. "Actually... you know what, I'll have five points from Gryffindor for your cheeky attitude, Black. It would do you some good to learn some respect."

Sirius muttered something quite rude as Lucius disappeared into the Hall.

"Now, now," Remus said, shaking his head, "No need for language like that."

They hung around in the entrance hall a bit longer, despite Lucius's explanation for Tutman's disappearance, until Professor McGonagall came out and sent them to the common room. "But we aren't causing any trouble here," argued Sirius.

"And all the more likely you are not to start if you're where you ought to be!" she said, waving them off up the stairs.

The boys laid about in the common room with their homework by the fire, though not much homework got done except by Remus, whose nose seemed quite firmly planted in their Charms book no matter how frequently James tried to distract him by zooming bewitched objects about his head, claiming to be practicing the spell.

"You seem to have it down just fine," Remus said, catching a zooming quill from midair. "Perhaps you should practice another one."

James grinned.