A sadistic smirk greeted his lips as he yanked the weapon out of his victim. The black blood was evident on the sharp head of the weapon as it dripped down and landed on the carpet, the faint rhythm blaring loudly in Irina's ears. The woman slid to the floor after and the girl was no longer able to hear her heartbeat. She was dead. He – he killed her. He killed a person! Suddenly, she felt like she was paralyzed from head to toe, as stiff as a statue, and the man approached her with slow and steady steps, his gaze never parting from her. Anyone who crossed his path was slaughtered, perishing under his spear, and Irina began to tremble with trepidation.

"Princess Irina, what are you doing?" the eunuch shrieked as he hurried back and dragged her by the arm.

"They're killing everyone," she croaked, her mind clouded by the stench of blood.

While they scurried down an abandoned hall barely used by anyone anymore, Irina quickly made her way over to a window. What was waiting for her on the other side of the glass had her aghast and anguished. Her own people were attacking one another mercilessly and her knees nearly collapsed beneath her. Blood splattered and sprayed across the paved grounds, like snow falling during wintertime and she felt nauseated, sick to her stomach. The scene was too atrocious, too gruesome. She could no longer bear to watch such a cruel sight unfolding in front her eyes without the urge to vomit lingering in the back of her mind. A lump formed in the back of her throat, making it rather difficult for her to breathe properly.

She scanned the sea of people again and she watched one death proceed after another. It was a never-ending cycle. Irina then spotted the five noblemen, whom she had crossed paths with in the palace more times than she could recall. They were the five prestigious men who also made up the board of High Councilmen. To think this was their doing. How could they betray her father? How could they betray their country? Looking more closely, Irina could have sworn that she had seen a glimmer of satisfaction flicker behind Lord Mayfield's eyes. It was as if he was actually –  pleased with what was going on. That couldn't be right. She must have seen wrong. "Where do you think you're going?" Irina whipped her head to the left and discovered the man from before staring at her, the corners of his lips hiked upward in a wicked smile. He raised the blood covered tip to his lips and licked it.

"Run, princess!" the eunuch yelled as he grasped her hand and began pulling her yet again.

"As if you'll be able to get away," the assailant hissed under his breath, knowing very well Irina was able to hear him. Her body became rigid and she did not dare to look back. "Run while you can, little puppy. Sooner or later, you'll be dead anyways," he sang.

His words floated around in Irina's mind as she fled. Bursting through one of the exit doors servants used to carry in supplies, the eunuch gasped as he came face to face with a blade. Irina rammed into his back and gulped, the light from the moon reflecting off of the sword. "Please don't do this," her servant pleaded, standing protectively in front of her. "The princess is innocent. She is only a child."

"Child or not. Innocent or not. I am taking her in and if either of you refuse, she will die," the soldier firmly declared.

"You know very well if you take her in, her fate will be no different. Please, I beg of you. Let this child go."

"I have my orders and I will obey them. Now hand her over or I will not hesitate to kill you."

The eunuch peered back to his frightened princess who was only fifteen years old. He could tell how scared she was. His entire life had been dedicated to serving the royal family, just as like his ancestors, and Nigel Cobbleton was determined to stick by them until the end. He was willing to sacrifice anything for them, even his own life. Because if it wasn't for the royals, he wouldn't even have existed. For a second, Irina thought she saw regret flash in Nigel's eyes. She thought he was going to heed to the man's command and as she tried to writhe free from his hold, Nigel released her and tackled the soldier to the ground instead.