Chapter One - Passenger by Chance

Start from the beginning

"Alden, huy,may pila na sa likod." Mama Ten nudged him bodily. With a blush and a hand to his nape, Alden gave Tonette his handcarry bag and walked to the row of his assigned seat. With a last lingering look at her, he sat down on the aisle seat.

Maine went to work, helping the other passengers get settled. Several times, she passed Alden's seat, and found him nonchalantly looking at her, smiling each time their glances met. After the third time, she avoided looking his way, especially after she stumbled over a wayward foot of a seated passenger. Once everyone was settled, she took her place beside Tonette, buckled up for the take-off.

"Girl, what was that all about?" Tonette whispered.

"Huh, what are you talking about?" She tried to look calm and composed but felt herself sweating despite the cold air in the cabin.

"Maang-maangan.....he seemed to recognize you."

"What? No...napagkamalan ako siguro. Lam mo naman face ko, murang mura, daming replica. Hehe, or baka ako yung replica."

"Yan ka na naman eh. Maine, you're so pretty, ewan ko kung bakit wala kang bilib sa sarili. Matatanggap ka ba dito kung hindi?"

"Eh basta. I don't know why he reacted ng ganon. Never met him, promise."

"Hehe, mamaya ikaw magserve ng food, haha good luck. Kita ko natisod ka kanina, kakatingin sa kanya."

"Grabe ka sakin, Tonette. Wag ka mag alala, mas papansinin ka, alam kong crush mo siya."

"At ikaw hindi? Girl, I can share." They both laughed out loud, to which Alden turned and looked. He smiled at her again, at a time when her mouth was wide open. She froze, then closed her mouth belatedly. The story of my life, she thought, I always get caught when it's most awkward.

ALDEN

"Upuan ko yan eh." Mama Ten grumbled at him crossly.

"Ako na dito, para di ka na maistorbo sa pagtulog pag mag-CR ako," Alden said, poking Mama Ten's side.

"Aray, Alden! Kelan ka pa nagcare na maistorbo pagtulog ko? Ang bully mo kaya sakin. Diba window seat pinareserve mo kay Leysam?"

"Wag ka na Mama Ten. Nakaupo na tayo eh. Tulog ka na nga."

"Type mo yung FA, no? Kaya ka pumuwesto diyan para nasisilip mo eh. Sumbong kita kay Patring."

"Sus, magsumbong ka. Di ko naman girlfriend yun."

"Eh bat mo dine-date?"

"Sinama ko lang sa movie premiere, date na?"

"Ikaw RJ ha, umayos ka. Mukhang may gusto sayo yun baka saktan mo lang."

"Lagi akong maayos Mama Ten. Parang ang yabang ko naman mag assume na gusto niya ko diba? Friends lang kami. Ikaw ang umayos, matulog ka pero bawal magsnore ha."

He tickled Mama Ten one last time before putting on his shades to dim the glare of lights. He needed to catch up on sleep, a few hours at least, because jetlag was never kind to him. He closed his eyes in an effort to doze off, but sleep eluded him. Even when the lights dimmed after take-off, he still couldn't sleep.

Visions of a bedimpled girl with doe eyes and a toothy smile seemed to nag him. She was not a traditionally pretty girl but he was drawn to her. He remembered how flustered she seemed when he stared at her, found it actually refreshing to see a girl who did not throw herself at him or unabashedly looked back at him with a knowing smile. He was a conservative at heart, and her shyness attracted him.

He removed his shades and got up to pee, walking towards the back. She was standing there, chatting with the giggly flight attendant. They were laughing together at something but stopped when they saw him. Both toilet cubicles were occupied, rather than go back to his seat, he decided to wait for his turn. He turned to her and put on his megawatt smile.