Chapter 1

Chapter 1
"Finally!" I cheered as I squeezed past someone to get off the plane. Sam giggled from where he sat in my arms. Grinning at him, I asked, "Aren't you glad to be off that plane?"

"Finally!" He mimicked me, letting out another giggle. I shook my head and laughed with him, bouncing him on my hip. I waited patiently for my brother and Jesse, smirking when I saw them. They had irritated looks on their face, when they saw me.

"Don't worry little sister, we'll happily grab your stuff for you," Matthew glared at me, dropping my backpack at my feet. I smiled warmly up at him.

"You are growing into such a gentleman! I'm so proud!" I gushed, holding in my laughter as Matthew continued to glare at me.

"You are such a-" he started to say but I cut him off.

"Nuh uh uh, little ears," I whispered, motioning to Sam in my arms. He sighed in frustration and walked away, dragging his and Sam's bag. It was a cute sight to see an angry teenager carrying a dinosaur backpack over his shoulder. Jesse laughed beside me, giving me a high five. I smiled at him and bent down awkwardly to pick up my backpack, slinging it on my shoulder and walking after Matt, with Jesse following me.

We continued to baggage claim, where Matthew was probably waiting for our bags. The airport was packed, but coming from New York, we easily maneuvered through the crowd. I easily spotted my brother as he stood with my bright blue suitcase. We walked over to him and I let Sam down for a couple minutes to let my arms rest. He was heavy for a five year old!

"Finally! I thought I would have to wait all day for you two," He grumbled, still annoyed. This made me grin. I was so evil. Cue evil laugh. Just kidding, thats weird.

"Oh grow up," Jesse joked, just as I said , "Technically there's three of us"
"You are impossible Kelsey! And thats low Jesse, to think I brought you with us to have a great summer," Matthew said in disbelief, but his eyes shone otherwise.

"Weren't you the one that threw a fit because this summer was going to suck?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Whatever! maybe some fun will come out of it," He reasoned but he looked doubtful.

"Hmm, where are we meeting mom again?" I asked him, scanning the airport around us.

"Outside those doors, where she's supposedly waiting with the car," Matthew answered, just as he went to grab another bag from the belt. I left his statement in the air with no comment and grabbed another one of our suitcases from the belt.

"Is that all?" Jesse asked, as he counted up four suitcases. Matthew nodded and put his backpack on and took the handles of both mine and his suitcases. Jesse then took the handle of his and Sam's suitcase, leaving me to put Sam's backpack on his back and then mine, before lifting my brother into my arms.

"You ready Sammie?" I asked the little boy softly as we headed for the doors, leading outside. He nodded, not really understanding that he would be seeing the mom that left him over four years ago. I took a deep breath and stepped out into nice, warm air outside of the airport. Before I even had the chance to look around for the woman we called mom, I noticed Matthew's tense figure. I followed his gaze to a woman not too far away.

She was staring back at us, with her hand covering her mouth. Nothing had changed much, her straight brown hair was tied into a ponytail and like usual, she had paint smears on her shirt and jeans. Her brown eyes seemed to shimmer with the unshed tears, it made me want to run up and hug her. Call her mommy and tell her just how much I missed her. It would have been a heartwarming sight, but it's not happening. I stood strong, lifting my chin and took my brothers hand in comfort. He squeezed it, holding on tightly. For some reason, Matthew took it the hardest. I don't know how many times I caught him looking at her pictures and then breaking stuff not long after. It was sad, but it only made me angrier. We all stood still as she closed the distance until she was right in front of us. It was then I noticed the gaunt look to her face and the thinness in her frame. Us Skye's were blessed with small frames but I don't remember them being this small.