Prologue

Prologue

The rays of sunshine cast a glow on the city below us, it reflected off the glass buildings and the Hudson River. The streets were barely visible as towers loomed over them on both sides. It was a beautiful sight, I felt like I was on the top of the world. It never got old standing on top of the tallest building in the US, and looking over my home. I turned towards the skyline and I could almost picture where the Twin Towers once stood. Looking past the skyline, to where the outline of the Statue of Liberty stood, cast in a golden glow. Off to my left, I could see the Brooklyn Bridge and I was lost in the memories of how many time I’d walked, driven, or rode a boat under it. The sky was clear this May afternoon, and the tourists were coming in fast, for their Summer vacation. Too bad I wouldn’t be able to enjoy it with them, watch them walk around in their tennis shoes and fanny packs, with their cameras glued to their hands as they snapped a picture of everything. I wouldn’t be able to hang out with all my friends in the long lines of the Shake Shack and eat their heavenly food. No more summer nights, watching Broadway shows over and over again. I wouldn’t get to sit in the middle of Central Park with my drawing pad and draw all day, till the sun went down. Summer in New York had never ceased to be boring, there was always something fun to do.

“What are you thinking?” Matt asked from beside me, his chocolate brown eyes staring straight ahead as he also took in the view.

“This summer,” I spoke softly. I already knew my older brother was against the whole ‘visiting mom’ for the summer all the way in Kentucky and he knew I wasn't the biggest fan of it either.

“Dad said it was only for the summer, but I can’t shake the feeling that it’s for forever. Like we won’t be able to stand here and take in the view anymore,” He sighed, running a hand through his short brown hair. As his shoulder bumped into mine roughly, he added, “Or get shoved by tourists as they act like blood-thirsty animals”

“Or watch them get shoved by us New Yorkers,” I smirked. Matthew laughed and shook his head, returning his gaze to the city.

“Why do you think she wants us now? I mean its been four years, what’s so special about this summer?” Matt asked.

"I don't know Matty, maybe she's finally realized that she wants us in her life," I replied, shrugging. I was pushed into Matt as tourists pushed to get to the edge and take pictures. Matt and I stepped back from the railing and walked side by side back into the building.

"Well I really don't want her to be in it, I mean it makes me so mad how she just left us, especially with Sam that young. Its going to hard when we have to explain to him that mom left us, and never came back," Matt rambled, his eyes unfocused as the thoughts raged over him.

"Just promise, you won't be so harsh to her. Trust me, I'm mad too, but this is really the first time Sam will truly meet her and it'll be weird for him if you're rude to her because he won't know how to act," I told him, as we descended down the 8 or so flights of stairs.

"I'll try but no promises," Matt grumbled. I rolled my eyes and poked him in the stomach, which made him laugh. Once on the busy streets of New York, we easily maneuvered through the people, blending easily with the crowd.

I only hoped it would be this easy in Kentucky. I usually fit right in with people and have no problem fitting in, but some places I’m just not sure. I could fit in with most crowds- popular, nerds, sporty, artsy, any of those. I’m just a normal pretty girl, that loves to draw. I’m good at sports and have a lot of friends so I’m not considered an outcast. I’m shy, but i warm up easily so I didn’t get why I was so nervous. It just felt I was entering unknown territory and it wasn’t sure if I was welcome or not.

Okay guys! This isn't my first story, I've writtien a lot but haven't posted many to Wattpad. i'd be really happy if you guys gave this one a try (: Read it, comment, vote... whatever! Hope you enjoy it.

Xoxo