She's fine. Liam is keeping a good eye on her, Cat. I promise. He tells me with a firm voice, obviously distracted with the battle. I decide to no longer connect with him, only to see how this plays out through his mind. 

I watch Drew attack numerous of wolves, only a few of them does he kill. He tries not to kill them, having a heart far more kind than my fathers or Blackwoods. Drew looks over his shoulder and I see River struggling with a gray wolf. I let out a cry and Drew is on the move, sprinting as fast as he can until he jumps on the wolf's back and throws him off of my sister. I watch as Drew tears into the wolf's throat, devouring him. I've never seen Drew so savage before. It is a shocking sight. 

When the done and dealt with, Drew looks back over at River, granting me insight on how my little sister is doing. She gets to her feet but stumbles. I'm left with no choice but to disconnect with Drew and try to link with my sister.

Please, don't let anything happen to Drew in the process. 

River? Are you alright? I try to stay calm, not wanting to frighten her anymore. 

Yeah, yeah. I'm okay. Just a little winded. You've been going easy on me. I can't help but smile as I remember our training sessions in the backyard. We would fight until someone yields. I always went easy on her, not wanting my strength to harm her. 

Come home, River. It's not an order, it's a plea. I need my sister with me. I need her to help me get through this. 

I have to look out for Liam. I frown. Though I completely understand; I was about to go out there and fight for Drew as well, I want my little sister home and safe.

It has always been a natural impulse to protect River. Even though I was a brat to her when we were younger, I always looked out for her. Now with River miles away, fighting for her life, I can't help but feel as if I had let her down. Maybe I should have been more tough during training. It would have helped her improve more. 

River, please be careful. I love you. I tell her. 

I love you too

I hurry and connect back with Drew. His mind is busy, all disorientated. So I had to push deeper to see what it is he is seeing. And what I see makes my stomach churn and yesterdays dinner threaten to come up. 

Drew stands tall, scrutinizing my father's every step. His eyes flicker to the right and I see Phoenix ready to pounce. My heart stops and I know what is about to happen. 

They are going to kill my mate. 

I snapped out of Drew's head and desperately connected with my father. I moved to see the battle with his eyes and I plea, Daddy, please no!

Catherine, don't interfere! He growls at me. Tears pull down my face and I watch my dad take a menacing step towards Drew. My mate stiffens, his eyes shifting between Phoenix and my dad. 

Please! I love him so much! I sob, my body shaking as I begin to hyperventilate. My dad ignores me as he lets out a growl and launches himself towards Drew. Everything become a blur as their body's collide. 

It is youth against experience. Who will win this? 

I struggle to keep up with what is happening, but I know Drew is giving a few good hits, for I can feel my father's pain through the mind-link.

Suddenly, Drew is ripped off of my father and I see Phoenix tearing into his shoulder. Drew lets out a cry and my heart breaks. This can't be happening. Stop! Please! I get to my feet and begin to pace as I clutch my chest, willing the pain to go away. My dad sulks towards Drew and his eyes zero in on his neck. Phoenix keeps my mate pinned while my father goes for the kill.

Daddy no! Please, please dad! I love him. I love him so much, please don't kill him, please! I'll do whatever you want! I'll go back to your pack, just please, do not kill my mate! I fall to the ground and curl up into a ball as I sob. I have never felt so helpless in my entire life. My father continues his pursuit. Please. I give one last plea, my body going numb as I start to pass out with the loss of hope. 

I hear Phoenix growl, but not at Drew, but at our father. Because my dad has stopped. Why has he stopped? 

I will be by to pick you and River up tomorrow. He snarls before he turns and runs back towards the Remington pack house. I let out a big sigh as I pull back from his mind-link and desperately search for Drew. 

Baby? Come home. I whisper. 

This war is over! Nothing will be accomplished with this! If you disobey me, you will be penalized! Drew demands to his whole pack. His alpha tone is rich with authority. Soon, he will defeat his father and become Alpha. I'm on my way, angel.

I scramble to my feet and rush downstairs. I can hear Drew's foot-beats as he runs towards me. I shove the back door open and wait at the back patio for Drew to emerge from behind the trees. 

When he does, he is dressed in black basketball shorts and is running towards me. I let out a cry at the sight of him. I rush to him, running faster than ever before. I leap into his arms, wrap my legs around his waist and my arms around his neck. I kiss him with everything I have. Drew's arms engulf me as he places kisses on my face. He is crying. I am crying. 

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." He whispers in my ear. I cling to him, my fingers latched tightly on his hair. I don't respond, wanting nothing more than to just be in his embrace. "I'll never leave you again. I promise." 

Though his words warm my heart, I let out a broken sob as I pull back and shake my head. I place a hand on his heated cheek, staring deep into his forest green eyes. 

"I'm sorry, Drew. But I had to." I lick my lips, tasting the salt water of our tears. His eyebrows raise, not seeming to understand. "I promised my father that River and I will go back to the Remington pack with him, in order to keep you alive." I whisper. Drew's eyes widen as he shakes his head and takes places me on my feet. He pushes me back as step and looks me up and down, as if I was a stranger.

"How could you?" His voice cracks. 

"I had no choice! They were going to kill you! I-I am so sorry, Drew. I really am. I can't live with the fact that I live in a world where you don't. I had to. Please. Forgive me. I didn't know what else to do." My eyes fall to the ground, self pity settling deep in my stomach. I have betrayed my mate, and my pack. I am abandoning them as their Luna. I will never be able to forgive myself... so how can Drew? 

Drew places a firm grip on my chin as he lifts it so our eyes connect. "I forgive you, Catherine. I'm sorry I even put you in that kind of position. But I promise, this is not going to be permanent. I will find a way to get you back." 

Author's Note: Hey guys! So I have started a new book called Listen. And because I will be focusing on this new one, the up dates for The Chosen's Mate will not be as frequent. I will update as much as I can, so don't worry. It's not going "on hold"
But please bear with me...I know it can get frustrating, I know. I'm just trying to balance things out. 

Your support would be greatly appreciated! 

And I would love for all of you to read Listen! It is a very different, yet heart capturing book. I promise that you will love it-especially if you love this book! :) 

Thank you guys so much, I love you all!

Happy reading!

Xoxo, Charlotte