Chapter 12 - The Combat

Start from the beginning

I was standing in front of the bathroom door when two arms wrapped around me from behind, interrupting my thoughts. I flinched and cursed out of shock.

"Jace," I groaned. "You scared me."

His lips touched my ears. I inhaled his scent and closed my eyes. His touches still felt foreign to me, but I was not afraid of it like I used to.

"Are you okay?" he murmured in my ear. Tickling me with his warm breath and making me bask in the moment.

"Shouldn't I be asking you that?" I said.

"No," he said. "Because . . .   you're obviously worried about me."

I turned around and pressed my face to his shoulder blades. "How do you know everything, Jace?"

"I just happen to know," he said as he ducked down and touched his forehead to mine.

My pulse accelerated. Man, I had to learn how to keep my breathing normal every time I face Jace Andrews.

"Just be careful, man," I said, his nose touched mine. "Don't worry about me or anything else. Keep your head in the game, okay?"

He advanced forward to kiss me. I let his lips do their work and relaxed. I breathed out in his mouth, letting all the heaviness out of my chest. I felt his teeth on my lips when I pulled away.

"But I don't want you to be afraid," Jace said. "I want you to believe in me."

"Maybe it's natural," I told him. "It's all new—you can't blame me for feeling like this."

"I know," he said. "Hmm, well, you're coming with me, aren't you? To the venue, I mean."

"No," I told him. "Sunny will drive me, Stan, my mom, and the ladies—"

"Dan thinks it will be better if my mate stays beside me and give me some encouragement," he cut me off. Time stopped when he laughed; my heart skipped a beat when he smiled.

"I'm learning not to give a fuck about what Dan thinks, you know?" I whispered to him. "He just loves to exaggerate things."

Jace laughed in surprise. "It's okay. I'm not making you."

"Wow, now you're being charming," I said.

He chuckled again, warming my face with his minty breath. Then he caressed my face, leaning in closer to me until there was no distance between us anymore.

"If that's the case," he said as he slid his fingers through mine, "I have to go now."

"Okay. See you in the game."

I waited, but neither of us moved. We could only stare into each other's eyes in the awkward silence. It was like a staring game; one of us had to wait to see who would blink first to end the game. But neither of us did; our bodies frozen there, like time had stopped.

Jace moved forward only to kiss me again. He pressed his lips harder this time, squeezing and pouring more burning heat into me. He pulled away, panting hard, leaving me breathless.

"I'm going now," he said hesitantly again behind his heavy breaths.

"Okay."

I felt his grip tighten in my hand. I wanted him to walk away because I needed a private moment to myself to break down and think about how sexy his kisses were.

I cringed at his sudden movement setting us apart. The air felt cold now without his warmth. Our fingers were still attached, not wanting to let go.

"Bye," he said, loosening his grip around my hand. I knew he didn't want to let go, but he eventually released my hand back to the chilly atmosphere. My skin felt cold and lonely without his touch, and I could only look on as he exited the room and disappeared.