Chapter 12 - The Combat

I couldn't believe it when I saw the sunrise outside my bedroom window. I'd been dreading this day as if it was an approaching apocalypse. It's Combat day.

Almost the whole neighborhood gathered at Mr. Andrews's house before we escort Jace to the battle venue. Jace would be escorted by Dan, Callan and Rick. If the event had been held somewhere farther, we might have begun travelling a week earlier, but Greenfield Park was just a twenty-minute drive from La Cove. This would be the first Combat I'd attend in D.C. The best thing about it was I could tag Adam along to his first Combat ever.

"I hope I don't end up too casual-looking," Adam said as he waited for me in my bedroom. Adam was lying on my bed, whistling some random tune to himself while I dried my hair from the shower.

I crouched by the dresser trying to find some clothes to wear. "We're going to a physical fighting competition where its participants are werewolves," I said. "We're not watching live football."

I knew he got the sarcasm—Adam was wearing an athletic jersey, a cap and a Spiderman glove toy.

"I was thinking of only wearing a tank top, short pants with a red headband," he responded.

"We're not going to WWE."

"Okay, if you're such a fashion expert, tell me what an appropriate outfit is," Adam groaned.

"No ... what you wear now is fine," I responded.

"Well ... that's relieving to hear," Adam said. "I thought you were going to tell me to go shirtless or something."

I jumped when Sunny came storming into the room. I glanced at her outfit; jet black sleeveless blouse, skinny jeans and stilettos. Wow, she looked hot. I noticed the way the colors of her irises stood out as she darkened her eyebrows. Damn, Sunny West had put makeup on her face—that was a rare occurrence.

"You look nice." Adam noticed, too.

Is Sunny blushing? "Thanks. Now, what's wrong with you, Jordan? I'm a girl and I take less time to prepare myself. Decently, even. Everyone else is waiting at Jace's place now."

I was still stunned by her hair. "Who was your hairdresser?"

"Who cares?" she responded.

"Your hair looks unusually nice," I said.

"Thanks. I'll take that as a compliment." She advanced toward my bed and pulled Adam to his feet. "I need to tell you something," I heard her whisper to Adam.

I watched as the two left the room, leaving me alone in my bedroom. With Adam knowing about the existence of werewolves, the two had gotten closer. Although their relationship wasn't a pleasant one, at least Sunny knew Adam wasn't a jerk. Back in our freshman year, Adam had asked Sunny out on a date and it turned out badly. Sunny had a theory that all guys who asked her out on a date were just some perverted douches who wanted to touch her boobs.

I put on a plain black T-shirt and wore a pair of knee-length baggy pants. Suddenly I realized I was breathing uneasily.

Jace. Hewas going to have to fight Theodore Henderson.

If I had been more careful, I knew Theo wouldn't have entered himself in the competition. He was pretty malicious especially after I found out what he did to Adam, so I was certain Theo was up to something. Stupid conspiracy theories were starting to run around my head about him, and I knew I had to stop.

I knew Jace had won Combat numerous times so I needn't worry. I was feeling anxious and I knew Theo wasn't the reason. The only reason for these feelings I could think of was that I was now Jace's mate. It was possible even with Theo out of the picture that these feelings would have come naturally.