Chapter 9 - Summer

Start from the beginning

We needed to love each other; we were made to love each other.

As usual, I sat with Adam and Keith. I wasn’t sure if Jace was pleased with Keith hanging around with me and I wondered what he thought about it.

 “It’s funny, Jordan,” Adam said. “Theo’s magically become a good friend with your ma—I mean, with your . . .  er, you know, boyfriend. They were nemesis before and somehow you changed everything,” Adam said.

While Keith was reading some books to kill time, Adam swung his foot around under the table, gesturing his silent apology for almost spilling my lycanthropic identity to a mortal. It wasn’t like I cared anymore.

“What do you mean?” I asked Adam.

“Well, since you are dating Jace, Theo can actually try to win Heather back. Rumor has it that Jace is now Theo’s love guru—Jace has been guiding Theo on how to win a date with Heather Roberts.”

I let out a little laughter. “Well, that’s great, isn’t it?”

“I guess everything’s okay now between you and your basketball team,” Keith said.

Keith learned about Theo and the rest of the goings-on at Bloomingdale High at the speed of light. He was good at being the fly on the wall; in fact I could’ve forgotten that he was here with Adam and me.

“Nope, I am really exiled from the team,” Adam said. “I don’t really give a fuck. Can’t understand why he hasn’t apologized for saying shit about Jordan.”

“That guy, Theo is weird,” Keith murmured. “Does he still hate you, Jordan?”

I shrugged as a response. I caught Theo glaring at me once or twice, but I was too apathetic to care. Adam and I had told Keith that Theo was just some homophobic kid in school to make it simpler for him—I was just some random guy who got to date the school’s superstar out of the blue. It would be complicated if Keith learned about my werewolf identity and the mate concept.

“So,” Keith continued, “if Theo hates you for being gay, why doesn't he hate your boyfriend too?” Keith asked.

I looked at Adam, my eyes begging him to help me come up with an excuse to give Keith.

“Well . . .” Adam started, “maybe Theo thinks he can restore Jace’s legendary heterosexual prowess.”

Three of us looked at each other as we boomed out in explosive laughter. I cackled and laughed to Adam’s hilarious response.

“Nice one,” Keith replied, panting hard as he guffawed. “Let’s see if that’s going to work.”

I couldn’t believe I still had the ability to laugh to these little silly matters, and that’s when I realized it was the first time in weeks I felt really happy.

*  *  *  *

The final bell resulted in the usual explosive roar of excitement—the whole school was running out of the building, screaming and shouting songs of victory. A group of seniors stole the crowd’s attention with their rhythmic shouts of pandemonium—they were singing and screaming a cheer, celebrating the end of school.

I promised Keith and Adam I would keep in touch during the summer break. Adam had already had a part-time job in the city. Keith, on the other hand, was living temporarily with his aunt within driving distance.

I was walking out of the building when a hand grabbed my waist.

He pulled me to him, pressing me close to his body—I reacted to his scent immediately. I was engulfed in joy and comfort and safety and I wanted to be this way forever.