Hair, Liquor, and Blood

"Your hair is getting too long," he noticed as he looked down at the top of her head. He stroked her brittle tufts of growing black hair. It was almost as long as his own blond, neatly trimmed hair. "It must be cut again," he breathed.

Halting her mouth in it's work, she said timidly, "I would...prefer you to do it." She looked up at him from her place under his desk.

He sighed as she looked on with her green eyes. Piercing eyes, he thought, shining in that shrunken-in face. He met his blue gaze with her green;a river meeting a forest. " I suppose I could. After my dinner, then. I can--" he was interrupted by a knock at his office door.

He hastily shoved her emaciated body all the way under his desk, hiding her from sight. He fastened his trousers, sat up straighter in his chair and called,"Come in."

The door opened to reveal an officer, who entered and slammed the door behind him. His eyes were glassy, and he seemed tense. "I need a drink, Walter," he proclaimed as he sat down on the chair in from of Walter's desk.

Walter took a bottle of liquor-which he always kept in supply- from his desk drawer. He poured a glass. "You always do, Peter," he said as he handed him the glass.

Peter drank down the liquor quickly, then sunk into the chair. His eyes stared at the far wall, and his hands shook as he placed the empty glass on the desk.

"Are you all right?" Walter asked.

Peter focused his gaze on him. " I don't know, Walter. Sometimes...," he lowered his voice," I have thoughts I know I have no place thinking. Dangerous thoughts."

Walter grimaced. Peter was often like this. Withdrawn, unfocused, emotional, always in need of drink...sometimes Walter wondered if his friend hadn't gone mad.  " Its best not to think like that," he told him.

Peter went on as if he hadn't heard him." I go to sleep at night, and I dream about them all. They are with me always, cursing me, damning me..." He held his head in his hands.

Walter told him,"Perhaps you should go rest...You're unwell."

"I'm a murderer. We all are," he whispered.

Walter sucked in air sharply. "Leave my office, now," he ordered. Peter slowly got up and walked to the door. "And watch your mouth, Peter. What you say could hurt you."

Peter looked back at Walter as he left. "It doesn't matter what I say anymore. Its too late for words."

When he was certain Peter was gone, he returned to his desk. He looked underneath and sighed. She had fainted. He shook her by the arm ."Matylda! Wake up."

She didnt stir. Upon further inspection, he learned she had soiled herself. He cursed as he pulled her out and slung her over his shoulder. Walter brought her into his bathroom and locked the door behind him. He undressed her and sat her in the tub, one arm around her shoulders holding her upright.

He turned on the spray, and she began to come to. Now aware of her surroundings, she screamed. Walter put a hand over her mouth and shushed her. Walter thought himself stupid. Of course a shower would upset her!

After getting her cleaned and in fresh clothes, he decided now was as good a time as any to cut her hair. He sat her on top of the toilet, and got out his scissors. While he cut, she talked.

"Why do you hide me from the other officers? Its not seldom that they take one of us a mistress..." Matylda said. She winced inwardly. Normally she would never ask such a personal question to him.

Walter stiffened. "You're not my mistress."

Matylda was quiet. The only sound for awhile was the snip of the scissors, and then the buzz of the razor. Matylda couldn't stand it. She knew her time was coming. "What am I, then?" she asked boldly. She was prepared.

Walter stopped. He looked her straight in the eyes, not sure how to answer. What was she? She was--

The door of his office banged open, and the sound of footsteps thudded towards the bathroom.

"Open up. Walter! " he hear someone say against the door.

Walter braced himself. He unlocked and opened the door. There were several officers in his office. One of whom, he noticed, was Peter.

"What is this about?" He asked the officer nearest him.

The man looked around him at Matylda and then answered," We have information that you have been having an inappropriate relationship with,"he pointed to her," that."

 Walter had his answer ready. "I was just having a little fun.Its not uncommon."

"He,"gesturing to Peter,"says otherwise. He has been watching you for a long time. We know you feed her more than is allowed, you keep her from working! This is unacceptable. We must take her, now."

"No!" Walter couldn't stop himself.

"Sir, if you do not cooperate, we will use force. " The officer said.

Walter stood in front of Matylda. "She is mine. No one is taking her anywhere."

"Very well, then." The officer frowned."Peter!"

Peter drew his gun and pointed it at Walter."I'm sorry, Walter--"

"You've been spying on me!" Walter was shocked.

"Walter, please cooperate."

"I will not." Walter was firm.

"Take her," Peter said to the others. One officer moved to grab her, but Walter punched him square in the face. He moved to grab his gun--

BAM!

Peter shot Walter in the chest. Walter staggered, and gripped tight to Matylda, who was screaming.

The commanding officer told Peter, "Her, too. She if of no use anymore."

BAM!

Walter and Matylda fell to the floor. Walter,finding life still in her eyes, told Matylda,"Du bist meine liebe..." Matylda smiled, and they lost consciousness, together on the cold tile, the blonde and black hair mixing together in the lost blood.