Lesson 16: Sarcasm... Everyone's Second Language

Start from the beginning

       “Sarcasm, silly,” he answered, swooping in for a quick kiss on the lips. “Ah, sarcasm… Everyone’s second language.”

       “But seriously, Mickey…” Her voice trailed off when she looked to the side and caught everyone’s eyes staring at them. Her face heated up as she looked back him. “Erm… People are staring at us…”

       “Well, duh,” Mickey retorted, rolling his eyes. “We broke up in the beginning of October and we’re back together the day after Halloween. Which, speaking of, will you–”

       “Michelle!”

       Mickey took a step away from Michelle in time for two bodies to stand in between them, blocking Michelle from Mickey’s view. He glared back and front between the twins before he began to walk off and called out, “Bye, Buttercup.”

       Michelle bit her lower lip, preventing herself from smiling at the sound of her nickname from Mickey. Then realization set into her and her eyes flickered between Trevor and Tyler Malone. “Hey, fellas,” she greeted, slowly feeling uncomfortable the longer she stood there under their beady eyes. “Uh, what’s up?”

       “You’re back with Varsity?” Tyler asked, raising an eyebrow. Then he sang in a sarcastic voice, “Do I hear bad idea?”

       “Yeah, yeah,” hollered Trevor, covering the upper part of his mouth, as he rocked on the balls of his feet.

       Michelle rolled her eyes and faced the locker again, piling books from her bag into the locker and taking out the ones she needed. She stayed quiet, vaguely listening to the lecture from the twins. She bit down hard on her lower lip when pain spread across the back of her head to prevent her from squealing in pain.

       “Are you listening to us?” Trevor inquired jokingly.

       “Yeah,” she squeaked out then took a deep breath and answered in a regular voice, “Yeah, I am. You’re complaining about Mickey, or something.” Pain spread across Michelle’s upper back when she was slapped again.

       Tyler was the one to mutter, “Idiot.”

       She grimaced into the locker and said, forcing a normal voice, “You know what, you guys. I’ll see you two at lunch. I forgot I had to… do something." She finished with a mumble. Michelle closed her locker door and hurried away from the twins, hanging her head low.

       She faintly heard Tyler asking Trevor, "Isn't her science class the opposite way?"

       It is, Michelle mentally answered, but I'm heading to the nurse.

 *

Mickey watched the brown haired beauty scamper down the hall. He also heard Tyler's question and already knew the answer.

       Yes. Michelle's science class was on the other side of the building from where she was heading.

       The only thing that made sense as to where she was heading would be– His eyes flew wide open. She's not... She's not heading to the nurse, is she?

       Before Mickey could make an attempt in following after Michelle, a heavy hand clasped on his shoulder. The pressure the hand was giving made his right side slump down as he turned towards the hand's owner. He raised an eyebrow at the sight of Ronnie standing there with a wide grin spread across his lips.

       "Mickey!" he cheerfully exclaimed before placing his other hand on Mickey's free shoulder and pulling his amber eyed friend to his chest in a hugging manner– not even attempting a man hug. "I missed you, man. I gotta tell you about this dream I had the other night..."

       Mickey took a whiff of Ronnie and grimaced at the strong stench of alcohol reeking from his friend's body. He shoved him away and narrowed his eyes. "Dude, are you drunk?" Mickey inquired.

       Ronnie raised his hand, pinching his fingers with little space in between. "Just... Just this much," he answered, slurring.

       He sighed, dropping his head. "You went out with the guys, huh?"

       "May...be." 

       "Ronnie, go home before I call your mom." And before Michelle sees you, he added mentally. Mickey knew he chose the right threat, because fear swelled in those brown eyes and Ronnie didn’t waste any time in running away... and falling. He shook his head, slapping a hand to his forehead, as he walked over to the fallen Ronnie that looked like a turtle trying to get up after being flipped over. "Great. Now, I have to deal with babysitting your drunk ass."