Big Fish in a Small Pond

Start from the beginning

The girl rested her hands on her knees, and her chin on her palms. 'Yeah no one else but her seems to be interested in him though. And what if she likes him? How can I compete with the perfect person?'

'With your looks, I'd say.'

***

'Do you remember when we met?' Arkonas asked Dardrin.

'I do. Do you need reminding?' Dardrin replied.

Arkonas smirked. 'No. I'm not that old yet. I just feel fortunate that we came to be friends I think.'

'Well, people often say that the closest friends bond over tragic events from the past.'

Behind them, Kaiyne grunted a laugh of contempt. 'I don't think anyone could ever forget that.'

Arkonas nodded. 'We did die after all.'

'But its all OK now, isn't it?' Dardrin asked.

'Small disturbances aside? Sure, everything's OK' Arkonas replied.

Dardrin, the avid fisherman, lay down on the outside porch that opened up to the Zen-like garden, and remembered back to one-and-a-half centuries ago, when the world wasn't nearly as civilised as today.

Back then the Sapherim, once a prominent and powerful race of lizard men and women, were doomed to fall one way or another. If the King didn't desire to profit from their fertile and resource rich land, Dra'shordren would have come and laid waste to them anyway, which is how everything died or turned rotten. Yet before that the land was peaceful and beautiful and there were no restrictions or rules they had to adhere to. Garunos could get high, Dardrin could fish, Arkonas and Kaiyne could... do whatever they do. And he and Leyana could have a great time together.

They were all younger back then. Dardrin had his impenetrable skin of course. Arkonas had his great power and Kaiyne strength.

They call it magic now, don't they? Dardrin recalled. Something that wannabees do as a hobby. Forget walking across water or making objects disappear. To see Arkonas in battle is a sign of real power.

And that's why they were part of the elite police, it seemed. Because together they had spells, strength and a human shield, not to mention the organisation and collective skills to rival even an intricate spaceship and the crew on board.

Though despite being the elitist of the elite, nothing was so devastating that they were required at this moment in time. That being said, the next moment in time could change. Or it couldn't.

And it didn't.

So they sat there enjoying their lives without the need to go on some life threatening power hunt. They all stayed in the same house for convenience sakes, as they could all only agree on this one house. And since property values were high in Kyoju District, and this house and land cost $1.1 million, they brought it to serve as their main living space. It was 30km west of Nai Academy, so it was a fine location for Arkonas and Kaiyne, if they ever needed to visit their grandchildren.

Not that Kaiyne ever did of course. And not that the 30km mean anything to a man who could move from location to location in between breaths.

Dardrin sighed, envying Arkonas' powers somewhat. He envied his human features too, since all the girls at Nai Academy were smitten whenever he visited. While Kaiyne was a stock standard man of 7 feet tall with a form that resembled a tank with thick appendages, and while Dardrin was a fisherman with pure pale skin thanks to his super resistant skin which could deflect swords, weather and the Sun's rays (which helped him keep dry and catch even the most dangerous marine creatures), Arkonas was the centrefold of every erotic dream at Nai Academy, and even the surrounding district academies too. And who could blame the students? His light chocolate skin was a prominent aspect of his attractiveness, as well as the stark line of hair along his jaw line and chin. His brown hair was simple, pushed back from his forehead and brushed to curl over on itself towards his neck area. And he was 6 feet exactly, with a piercing in his right ear and deep green eyes.