7: Dad...

Back in the nest, Hiccup and Whisper sleepily lean against their dragons. Suddenly hands clap down on them and they are pulled into a small tunnel, quickly being whisked away and hushed.
"Dad?!" Hiccup splutters, "what are you doing here?
Stoik keeps one arm wrapped around Whisper's waist, hauling her along as he pushes Hiccup in front of him, Gobber leading the way.
"We're rescuing you two." Gobber says as if it is obvious.
"But we are safe here, and I have some big news." Hiccup says.
"Then tell us once we get out of here." Stoik says.
Whisper pokes his arm vigorously. "It's kind of world shattering." Hiccup says cautiously.
Suddenly Gobber stops and turns around, looking like he's seen a ghost. He pats Stoic on the shoulder. "You better take this one." Then he sits down and rubs his face with his hands.
Stoik puts Whisper down and unsheathes his sword, stalking down the tunnel the rest of the way to where Gobber looked in. He drops his sword and walks in, Hiccup and Whisper close behind him then stop at the entry to the cave. Their mother stands there in the center of the cave, her eyes flicking between Stoik and the walls.
"I..... I know what you are going to say...." She stutters. "How could I have left..... How could I leave you three alone when the kids were so young..... Why didn't I come back...."
Stoik doesn't say anything, he just keeps walking over to her, his eyes glistening with unshed tears of joy.
"Stop being so stoic, Stoik.... Shout, yell, say something!" Valka pleads.
Stoik raises his hand to her cheek. "You're as beautiful as the day I lost you." He whispers then kisses her.
Whisper smiles, grabbing Hiccup's fingers and squeezing them gently. Her brother smiles back at her.

~oOo~

Later in a home like cave that looks out over the dragon nest, Stoik and Valka are making dinner while Stoic's dragon,Skullcrusher, Sits guard by the entry way. Valka fumbles with her plater and Stoic takes it from her, causing her to blush. "I never was very good at this..."
"I think I still have a few meatballs rolling around." Gobber grumbles, patting his stomach. Hiccup rolls his eyes from where he sits beside Gobber on Grump, Gobber's dragon, and Whisper clicks her tongue, lounging on Seafire's back who lays beside Toothless and Cloudjumper.
Valka shrugs and picks up a clay jar, going over to a stream of ice melt to collect water. Stic looks at the plater in his hands and sets it down then starts to slowly whistle a tune followed by mournful singing as if he is unsure of the words.
"I'll swim and sail on savage seas
With ne'er a fear of
drowning"

Valka looks up from the fill jar, her breath catching in her throat and her hands tightening around the hardened clay. Gobber nods in understanding while Hiccup and Whisper exchange a glance. Stoic caries on, gently touching Valka's arm then taking the jar and setting it on a rock ledge coming out from the wall of the cave.
"And gladly ride the waves
of life
If you will marry
me.....
No scorching
sun
Nor freezing
cold
Will stop me
on
my journey...
If you will promise me your.....
heart........."

Stoic sighs and starts to turn away but then Valka opens her mouth and her voice slowly leaks out as she remembers the words from some long ago memory.
"And love me for eternity....
My dearest one... my darling
dear...
Your mighty words astound me
But I've no need of mighty
deeds
When I feel your arms around
me"

Taking her hand, Stoic leads his wife to the open floor of the cave and sings with a stronger voice and love in his eyes.
"But I would bring you rings of
gold
I'd even sing you poetry
And I would keep you from all
harm
If you would stay beside me"

Valka laughs and starts a traditional dance with her husband, her voice still as unsure as her steps as they touch their forearms together and walk in a small circle. They turn and go in the opposite direction, touching their other forearms together.
"I have no use for rings of gold
I care not for your poetry
I only want your hand to hold"

Stoic lifts her in a small turn, a smile on her lips as he sings.
"I only want you near me"

Together they finish the song, spinning and smiling as their voices weave together with confidence and love that is old yet newly found.
"I love to kiss to sweetly hold
For the dancing and the dreaming
Through all life's toils and delights
I'll keep your love beside me
I'll swim and sail on savage seas
With ne'er a fear of drowning
And gladly ride the waves of life
If you will marry me!"

They laugh and then tightly hold each other, smiling and blinking away tears. Hiccup sharply elbows Gobber in the side as he carries the last note to long. Whisper, now sitting up, is smiling at her parents in their happy reunion.