Chapter 12

Preston

"...5...4...3...2...1!!!!!! Blast off!" Eric and I laughed and whooped as our rocket for the science class flew around the school yards.

"Preston!!!!" Avery shrieked as it nearly landed on her head. Eric turned his laugh into a cough as she glared at me.

I shrugged innocently. Eric and I were hanging out with Avery and her friend Linda after school. Well, I guess calling it "hanging out" was a bit modest.

More like we were spending our time bugging them. School was almost over. What better thing could we do?

"Leave us alone!" was what Linda answered when Eric told her his great excuse for annoying them. I don't mean to be rude, but Linda really needs to lighten up.

"Just go get it, Preston! Please? Linda and just want to have sometime for girl-talk. Please?" Avery begged.

I just couldn't resist those puppy-dog eyes. "Come on, Eric," I dragged him away from the girls, picking up our rocket on the way. "Let's leave the ladies to their business." I made a great show of bowing to them.

Linda giggled. Avery just shook her head, a small smile on her face.

"You're such a pushover, Preston." Eric pouted at me. "You're supposed to be stubborn with all those chores you have to do, and all your siblings!"

Something tinged inside me.

"Look Eric, sometimes I have to help around or keep an eye on my siblings. It's hard not having a dad. It gives us a lot more work. Especially my mom." I found myself lecturing him.

Eric stared ahead for a bit. "You know, I should probably get going."

I watched my friend walk away. I sat down on a boulder nearby, pondering my thoughts.

"Preston!"

I turned around, expecting to see Avery. Instead I saw Linda jogging towards me. "Um, hi Linda. Where's Avery?" I asked her.

She completely blew off my question.

"It's so good to see you." She giggled, fluttering her eyelashes.

"Er... You too, Lin,"

She sashayed closer to me. "You don't need to be scared of me, you know."

"Uh, yeah." I took a step back. Or I tried to, at least.

Then Linda did the weirdest thing.

She kissed me.