11. Mix It Together

11. Mix It Together

School was always a place that people despised at some point

School was always a place that people despised at some point. Whether it be because they don't want to run twenty laps in less than five minutes during gym. Or whether they don't want to do that fifteen-minute presentation in front of everyone during English. Or that time when they have to do a mini play in front of the whole school because they thought drama would be an intelligent choice for an extra curricular. No matter what it is, something's going to pop up and make someone not want to go to school.

Problem for Maisie was that she didn't want to go any day.

One day was turning into two which was progressively turning into maybe one day a week until she was barely at college. She had reassured her mom and Tony when they had wondered why she was at the bakery more than usual but the had facts were that Maisie was blatantly and with minimal shame, ditching college.

"My mom's going to realize eventually," Maisie said as she leaned against the counter in the kitchen, facing Charity. "What will I do then? I've missed so many lectures that I barely know what's happening anymore."

Charity bit her lip. "Maisie, you thought you could run the bakery and get a degree at the same time but it isn't working. You have to pick one or at least take a break from the bakery long enough to go through college. I mean, have you even made friends there?"

Maisie shrugged. "A couple."

Charity raised an eyebrow and Maisie sighed.

"I've made one friend," Maisie said. "That is if Ocean can even count as a friend. He acts more like my own personal fangirl."

"Have you been to a party?" Charity asked.

"I'm not a partying type," Maisie looked away, the counter digging into her back as she shifted.

"A football game?"

"They've only had one football game and I was busy then," Maisie said. "Besides, I'm not a fan of football."

"But how do you know that if you've never tried?" Charity sighed. "You say you're not the partying type and that you don't like football but during high school you never bothered doing that stuff either. I've never seen you even try it. What if you end up loving it? You've thrown all that aside for what? A bakery?"

"My grandma's bakery," Maisie narrowed her eyes. "Don't brush it off like it's nothing."

"I'm not," Charity said carefully. "But are you looking after this bakery because you want to or because Tony's mom left it to you?"

Maisie crossed her arms over her chest and didn't answer.

"Look," Charity started, "I don't want to sound like the one who's constantly being negative, but you can't afford this bakery. You haven't got the money but more importantly, you haven't got the time. You're flunking college, Maisie. You know, that same college you came running to me with the acceptance letter for? You were so excited to be going there."