Without waiting for a definite reply, he patted her shoulder thankfully and rushed away.

Nandini waited irresolutely outside the door. Sumer Singh’s talk with the principal was a frightening topic, but she couldn’t ruminate about it at present. An elderly, ailing man was waiting downstairs…

The sound of a cane tapping against the floor made her swivel. Two men were walking in her direction. The older one’s gaze was rigidly fixed at a point above her head, and the younger one had a very sheepish air.

Rajiv reached her in two quick strides and timidly said, “I tried to tell him we should wait in the lobby but he seemed very confident that you would succeed. Have you spoken to Sumer Singh?”

 “He’s attending a phone call and Prithvi is sleeping,” she replied awkwardly, casting a fleeting look at the other male.

The information merely made Rajyavardhan Singh stand straighter. “I don’t intend to wait for Prithvi to wake up,” he snapped at Rajiv. “I’ll just see him for a moment, and then leave.”

To Nandini’s astonishment, he simply strode to the door, pushed it open and strode into the room. Alarmed, she hurried after him.   

Left alone, Rajiv mopped his perspiring face with a large handkerchief. He was feeling like he’s just completed a hurdle race. Respect for his father’s job soared in his heart.

Manohar had been a pillar for the palatial household for more than four decades. In addition, he was the chief manager of the king’s banking assets and properties. But Rajiv hadn’t wanted to continue the tradition. He was convinced that the royal family was living beyond its means, and soon, the king would declare bankruptcy. He didn’t intend to go down with them. Armed with an engineering degree and an MBA from a highly reputed institute, he planned to work in Mumbai’s corporate world, and later, move abroad and settle down in a foreign country with Gauri, his smart and sexy girlfriend.

All of those plans had changed in the course of an evening last month, when his father had sat him down and revealed the true net worth of the family, and also outlined the life he could enjoy even as the mere manager of that incredible wealth.  He had started going with his father to the palace from the very next day to learn the ropes. But he was finding it tough, with his father constantly admonishing him for being too talkative and animated for a job that required him to be very restrained and poised at all times. 

Of course, there was a huge risk that Prithvi would continue to refuse to accept his inheritance, which could lead to an unending courtroom battle between the few distant relatives. But if Prithvi did change his mind and took charge of the fabulous legacy, Rajiv knew his life would be set.

60,000 crores. One heir.

Prithviraj Singh Rathod was the luckiest person in the universe….

***********************

Rajyavardhan Singh paused and swung around with a frown, apparently amazed by Nandini’s audacity to follow him.