Chapter 15: Catching Up

Zacznij od początku

She cocks her head sideways and squints slightly, "Now that you mention it..."

"Ha-ha! Well, you sure as hell don't look like Jessica Tandy." He hands her the coffee anyway.

She lays her head back, "Shut up and drive, Hoke."

Ron shoots a mean glare through the rear view mirror.

Arriving at the station, a media frenzy has erupted. Cameramen and reporters swarm the detectives as they step from the car.

One reporter asks, "Detective, detective, any idea who is behind this murder?"

Another, "Have you been able to identify the body?"

Brandy forces past them silently, keeping her head down. Ron steps between them as Page makes it safely through the doors.

"We are unable to answer your questions at this time. As soon as we have any information a statement will be made...Thank you." Ron quickly backs into the building.

Brandy meets him by the doors, "Vultures!"

"Yeah. They want answers just like us."

Ron's phone starts ringing. He answers it and steps away from the doors so he can hear over the roaring crowd.

"Hello?" Ron listens.

Ron gets some shocking news, "Are you sure?" Another brief pause,

"Okay, let me know." Ron hangs up.

Ron returns to Brandy, "They got an I.D. on the body."

"Anyone we know?"

Ron nods. "It was Lynn Holbrook... I was right! She was involved after all."

Brandy is in utter disbelief, "What?"

If Brandy had to guess who the body parts belonged to, Lynn Holbrook would have been her last guess. Brandy didn't believe Lynn was responsible or even involved with the heinous crime, but she certainly didn't expect her to be the victim. Brandy's mind sprints to find reason. It just doesn't make sense.

Ron continues, "The autopsy report found that one of her kidneys was removed. They haven't gotten the DNA results back from the kidney I found in my car, but I'd bet both my nuts and my James Brown collection, it'll be a match."

"You wouldn't...not your James Brown collection."

"Yeah, you're right. I could never part with that." Ron makes a crossing motion with his hand over his chest, "Forgive me, Godfather, for I have sinned."

"If you're wrong I guess I'll have to start calling you Ronda."

Ron chuckles, though he wouldn't really go through with a castration. He is so sure of the outcome of the DNA result; he would actually agree to let Brandy call him Ronda, if he is wrong. He's not.

"So, what about forensics? They get anything?"

"No, haven't heard from them yet....but in the meantime, we need to find ourselves a suspect. If those reporters find out we're empty handed, it's gonna make the department look bad."

Brandy pats her briefcase, "No worries Rond-,uh, Travis. I have a list of two hundred possible suspects, courtesy of Kelly Winston."

"Good thinkin, Page. Lynn probably made a lot of enemies during her stay in the penitentiary."

"Yeah, any one of these inmates could have wanted her dead...God knows I did."

"Me too, but that doesn't make them suspects any more or less than us."