The Cop Who Loves Me...A Teenager

I was watching The Simpsons when I heard a knock at the door.  I lowered the volume of the tv and went to open the door.  When I did, there stood 2 cops. Both wearing Black short sleeved uniforms with their Police badges, equipment belt, and black hats.  One cop had a shaved head, brown eyes, a little on the chubby side, and short.  He had a serious look on his face.  His name tag said Officer Jack Williams.  The other cop stared deep into my eyes.  He had icy blue eyes, light brown hair in a a Brad Pitt style, tall, and a muscular build...but not extremely muscular...Muscular like a guy at a California Beach. His thumbs tucked in his pocket and had a sorry expression on his face.  His name tag said Lt. Brody Taylor.

"Ummmm..." I said starting to come out of my trans. "May I help you?" I asked.

"Yes.  I'm Lt. Taylor and this is my partner Officer Williams." He said with sorrow in his voice

 "We're sorry to inform you that there has been a car accident involving you parents and sister."  Officer Williams said in a serious, and rude tone.

I gasped. "Are they alright? What happened? Please tell me they're still alive."

"They're in critical condition.  I'm sorry for your loss.  Good night."  Officer Williams said and turned to walk away.  Lt. Taylor stayed put and just stared into my tearful eyes.   "Brody, are we going?"

A frustrated look appeared upon Lt. Taylor's face. "Jack! You could be a little more considerate."

"It's my job to tell her about the accident. That's it, nothing more.  I'm only doing my job Brody." Officer Williams said stubbornly.

Lt. Taylor turned back to face me.  "What's your name?" He asked me.

"Autumn Reynolds." My voice cracking from trying not to cry in front of them.

" How old are you, Autumn?"

"16" I replied in a small voice.  Tears started falling from my eyes. Lt. Taylor's expression softened even more.

"Brody! Let's go. I dont want to see a little girl cry.  I have better things to do." Officer Williams said rudely.

"Do you have any other family? Siblings, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, Grandparents?" Lt. Taylor asked ignoring Officer Williams.

I shook my head no, not able to find my voice.

He forced a small reassuring smile appeared on his face. "Autumn, I'm sure your family is going to be alright. I'm almost certain of it.  If there condition changes, I'll let you know immediatly, ok?"

I nodded. "Thank you" I said softly, finding enough courage in my voice.  Him saying that my family was going to be alright, made me feel better.

Lt. Taylor tipped his hat and said "Enjoy the rest of your night Autumn."

"Finally!" I heard Officer Williams whine as I closed the door.   As soon as I closed the door I leaned my back against it and fell to the floor and cried. I heard their police car drive away and I got up to go into the kitchen to find the phonebook.  I looked up the number for the taxi service.  I didnt have a license yet and my family was in the only car we had.  I called the number and they told me that a cab would be here in 10 minutes to take me to the hospital.  I dried my eyes and made myself look presentable. I found my wallet, which had more than enough for the taxi fare there and back.

15 minutes later...

I heard a car honk in front of the house.  I looked out the window and it was the taxi. I went out the door and got in the backseat of the yellow cab.

"Shady Creek Hospital please." I told the driver.

"Sure thing." He replied.

We got there in a little over 20 minutes.  I told the driver to wait and that I'd pay him extra.  He agreed and I practically ran into the hospital to reception.

"Hi, ummm..My family was in a car accident earlier.  Last name Reynolds."  I said out of breath from running.

The receptionist typed into her computer.  "Ah yes, John, Mary, and Cindy Reynolds. They were brought in about 2 hours ago. They're conditions are all critical.  Go up to the 3rd floor and ask the nurse at the desk for further information."  She said.  I thanked her and ran over to the elevators.  I pressed the 3rd floor button.

The dorrs opened to reveal an overly white area.  I spotted the nurse's desk and swiftly walked over.

"Good evening, dear.  Is there something I can help you with?" The kind, old nurse asked.

"Yes, my family was in a car accident earlier.  They were brought in here. The receptionist said they were in critical condition to to come up here for more information.  Last name is Reynolds."

The nurse, who's name tag said Mable, looked through some papers .  "Uh huh, John, Mary and Cindy Reynolds. Critical condition.  John suffers internal bleeding and a concussion.  Mary fell into a coma and has a broken leg and arm.  Cindy has some broken ribs, a broken arm, and has internal bleeding.  The police report says John was the driver, Mary in the front passenegr seat, and Cindy in the back right seat. All wearing a seatbelt.  John and Cindy's seatbelt cause internal bleeding.  Mary's seatbelt was worn looser, saving her from internal bleeding, but hit her head on the dashboard.  They were hit by a drunk driver driving on the wrong side of the road at 80 mph in a 55 mph zone.  The drunk driver was killed on impact."

Tears started to form in my eyes again.  "Can I see them?"

"I'm sorry. I can't allow visitors for patients in critical condition." shesaid sorrily.

"Please,  they're the only family I have.  Please, just let me look at them for a minute. I need to see them. This may be the last time I see them, considering what you told me!  They're my parents and my older sister. They're all I have!" I pleaded.

The nurse thought for a minute.  "Alright.  Only for a minute. I can only allow you to look through th glass window.  They're all in the same room.  Follow me, dear."

I followed the nurse to room 315.  I looked through th small glass sliver in the door.  There were my mother, father, and older sister.  My older sister, Cindy, is only 20.  She came home for the weekend from college to visit us. She was going to be a teacher. My father, John, is 42.  He was an executive at a huge law firm.  My mother, Mary, 40 years old and was an interior designer. My parents married young, but were madly in love.

It hurt me to see them in this condition.  I can't lose my family.  Where will I go? What will i do? I'll have nobody.  I don't hzve a job...a can't support myself. My thoughts were interrupted by a tap on the shoulder.

"I'm sorry sweety, but you have to go now." The nurse said politely.

I nodded and walked back to the elevators.  Wow...when she said a minute, she really did mean 1 minute.  I walked back out to the cab and told him my address.  He drove me back home. It was now dark outside. I paid the driver $40 plus a $20 tip.  He was pleased with the amount a gave him. He thanked me and I got out, and he drove away. I unlocked the front door to the house and lazily walked upstairs to my bedroom. I collapsed onto my bed and drifted into a deep sleep.