Chapter 13: Hello Friend

Start from the beginning

He nodded, "So why is it a dead tree exactly?"

I shrugged, "I don't know exactly," And I really didn't know – I just felt like drawing that. "And then I'll add tiny flowers around it, and maybe some trees in the background."

"And you think you can draw all of that? You plan everything in your head, and then you put it down knowing you could do it?" He asked.

"Basically," I told him, drawing small branches at the top.

"You must be really good then," He chuckled. "So does the picture have meaning? Like a story behind it? 'Cause you know, every artist has a story."

I shook my head, "No, I don't really know the meaning. But I've always liked drawing things like this, I honestly don't know why. I draw something dead like in the middle, and it's surrounded by lively things that fill nature."

"So you like drawing nature?" He asked me.

"Yup, I love it. It's where I get inspiration and stuff. And what do you think my story is?" I asked, finishing the last branches to the top. 

"Well, you say you like to draw stuff like this, so I'd say you feel like a lonely girl who doesn't fit in. And you're different, and sad. While everyone around you is happy and beautiful." He explained. "You can tell a lot about a person by the things they like,"

I was surprise he knew that, because that was how I always felt. I turned my head and faced him, "How'd you read all of that from just one simple drawing?"

He shrugged, "I don't really know, but I've always been able to tell. I'm just never sure if I'm right, like in this case. I'm really sure I'm not right."

"Why do you say that?" I asked him curiously.

"Well, you are a beautiful girl and seem to be very nice. And plus I see you hang out with the two most popular guys in school all the time. So I don't think you feel sad and alone," He explained, causing a smile to tug across my lips.

I liked this Preston guy; he seemed smart and he was very nice also. I don't meet a lot of people that act nice to me, so when I make a new friend it's almost like making a million dollars appear out of nowhere. "Well you're kind of wrong with that explanation,"

"What do you mean?" He asked, seeming confused by what I said.

"Well, the way you described the story of me that was true." I said, looking back at my tree. I started to draw little flowers around it, and then when I finish that I'd go on to the trees in the background.

"That can’t be true," He gaped.

"Well it is," I croaked, now starting on the background trees.

"I would have never thought that," He said quietly. "So how'd your first friends end up being Harry Reed and Ryder Harte?"

"Harry's my cousin, and I live with him. Ryder comes over a lot, so we became friends." I explained, shading in some small leaves on of the trees a drew in the background.

"Oh, that makes sense now. So besides them, do you have any more friends?" He asked.

"I have one: Kol Fisher." I answered him.

"Oh, well one loyal friend is better than a million. It's better to have one dime them ten pennies."

"You're really nice, you know that?" I asked him, finishing the last touches of my drawing.

"Thanks," He chuckled. "People say I'm a saint,"

I laugh, "Well you could definitely be a saint,"