THE MOLE

and he tried his best to smile but his mouth was sowed shut and all he could do was cry

My name is an information you don't need. You think you do, but you don't. You'll probably use this fact against me if you happen to feel affronted, but nothing will change my absolute disgust of this word that will not and has never defined me.

"Dominick."

"What a beautiful name. Dominick..." the woman repeats my name as if she delighted herself with the taste each letter had in her tongue, staring down at me with two round golf balls, her blue-light-as-white eyes.

I nodded since there wasn't anything else that I could think of doing at the moment, besides try to respond to an affirmation and not show off how awkward I was feeling.

Her phone rings. It had this horribly typical ringtone - the iPhone Xylophone one, I believe - so she smiles with no teeth, sticks her delicate but brute hands into the left pocket of her purple handmade knit sweater, and takes out a phone, which barely fits in her small hand filled with short fingers.
Although she had only asked me one question, she left right after answering the call. I shrugged.

That woman is my grandma. She lives nearby, in a fifteen floor building with rectangular windows and as she was walking through the gate, she caught me walking by with the corner of her eye. I was asked to cross the street and give her a hug - Well, not quite. She hollered "Grandson" to catch my attention, which was as a matter of fact, caught by the intense waving of both her arms, since my hearing was being blocked by music. Consequently, I crossed the street and found myself inside her tightening hug before I could even see her lowering her arms.

My heart stopped beating so fast when I remembered that she is as blind as a mole, glad she hadn't noticed the suitcase I carried. Unfortunately that only came to happen when she had already disappeared into the building.

A cold breeze threw my hair on my face and I struggled to put it back behind my ear, with glove covered shaking hands. I blinked a couple times and kept on with my journey.

There was much left to go until I arrived to the bus station.

What is that one doing with such a suitcase?

No one was supposed to walk by this street tonight.

I guess if he doesn't see anything...

But how could he not see all the blood?