Chapter 2

I walked into May's room smiling brightly and holding up the lunch she ordered from the café. She laughed softly but it sounded more like a mix between a sigh and a cough. She smiled at me brightly and I came to sit beside the bed. I handed her the food I brought with me, I grabbed my lunch pail and took out my lunch that was sloppily made and thrown in a pail as a result of one too many snooze button slaps. I reconstructed my sandwich to look edible before looking up at May. She lifted her spoon from the soup, her hands shook slightly and by the time she had brought it to her lips a good majority of it dripped onto her sheets. I stuffed the rest of my half eaten sandwich into my pail and walked to the side of her bed. I prepared my self, shoving all the guilt into the back of my mind.
"May, let me help you otherwise I'll have to clean the sheets and that will be a waste of time." I said, I felt pangs of guilt when she sent me a sad look and nodded like a child. She would never let me feed her for her sake, but if it was for my expense she would do anything, she never wanted to be trouble for others. That's why she never "bugged" her son or granddaughter to come say goodbye.
I took the spoon from her, gently, and dished the soup into her mouth. After she had her fill I put the bowl to the side.
"Hey, my lunch is almost over tell me a quick story May." I said kneeling on the floor resting my head on her bed. She hummed in amusement. She ran her fingers threw my hair like I had seen her done a hundred times with her son. She looked at the ceiling while spouting her tale.
Telling me about the time she and her husband, who was her boyfriend at the time, got their first dog, not knowing every thing about them and bought one on impulse. Then realized to their horror that the puppy had eaten and destroyed every piece of furniture in their living room where they had left him. I laughed softly as she smiled remembering the happier times of her life. Forgetting the deathly loneliness.
"We had to go shopping for a new living room again." She breathed out. After a minute of peaceful silence, I stood. I leaned over her kissing her forehead.
"Have a good nap May." I put a blanket on her legs and dimmed the lights.
"Hey!" I stopped and turned to see what she wanted. "Tomorrow you have to tell me a story Cammy." She smiled before closing her eyes and letting a small snore escape her parted lips. I smiled and closed the door slightly leaving a gap, knowing May would feel trapped if the door were closed. I walked to my files as my lunch ended. I pulled a file and sighed. I turned smiling.
"Yes Heather?" She wore a bitter face, like she always did.
"When will you stop visiting her? God! You just love to waste time don't you? I just had to deal with a guy who won't accept his wife is cheating and blames me for his std! Like I'm just a nurse how could I give him HIV in the 3 minutes we were in the same room?" She glared at me like I was to blame.
"Well I didn't ask him to be an asshole." I mumbled fidgeting under her piercing glare. She grabbed my face tilting it up lightly digging her nails into my skin. Making me look into her angry eyes.
"Don't mumble, you faggot." I shrunk away, I didn't want to fight today. She tightened her grip on my face, one of her nails pierced my skin. I whimpered but didn't move or try to stop her.
"HEY!" Heather jumped back and glared at me one last time before continuing with work. Rema ran up to me shooting a hateful glare at Heathers retreating figure. She gently lifted my face looking at the indents of the others nails.
"Oh God Cameron your bleeding!" She gasped.
"Well I guess I'm lucky I'm in a hospital." I joked.
"Cammy be serious for once." She said despite the smile on her face. I pretended to consider it before shaking my head. I walked to the boys bathroom washing my face with soap and water before placing a bandaid on it.
I continued my day normally going through all my files. It was a slow day, well, for a hospital. After my small jobs were done I got assigned to Weston duty. I walked into the office to inform the head of my department. He waved as I entered, he beckoned me over and I walked over sitting across from him.
"Hey Cameron, what brings you to my lair." He asked smiling at me.
"I was just here to inform you that I'm going to take care of Weston, if that's okay of course."
"If that's okay! Oh what a thing to say. Of coarse it's okay! Just be careful, okay? He's not tranquilized as heavily today so from time to time he could come to." He said smile still stuck on his face but his eyes were tinted with warning. I nodded and walked out. I walked down the bland hallways greeting every person who met my gaze.
I walked into Weston's room. He was healing but looked just as bad as yesterday. I whistled.
"And I thought I was having a rough day." I smiled again, it was force of habit. I walked over to his bed his hair laid plastered to his forehead with sweat. I brought my hand to his forehead recoiling from the heat. I mumbled to myself as I got some antibiotics and injected them into the iv. "There that should help." I whispered squeezing his hand. I busied myself cleaning the room and tending Weston. I looked with misery at the empty table beside his bed. "It's a sad case do you not have any friend or family? Or... do they just not care?" I looked at him with pity turning, grabbing a washcloth wetting it and washing the sweaty hair out of his eyes. After drying his forehead I started tending to his wounds. "This might sting Weston." I wiped the wipe on his cut feeling the muscles contract with pain.
"That hurts." I heard a growl from the top of the bed and I turned to face him.
Damn.
His eyes held unknown amounts of danger. Then my eyes widened, I had woken him up by cleaning his wounds.
"Oh god! I'm so sorry I didn't want to hurt you, much less wake you when you should be resting!" He looked at me with slight confusion. "I'm so sorry for waking you, I'm such an ass! Are you hungry Weston?" He nodded confusion still present. "I'll go to the café and get you something." I smiled brightly grabbing his hand and squeezing it. I blushed realizing comforting him this way while he was awake was not the best idea.
"They came in earlier but I wasn't hungry, they left the food over there. I can eat that." He said looking at a plate of food across the room. I shook my head, frowning at him.
"I'm not going to let you eat cold food! It's been just sitting there who knows what's touched it!" He returned to staring at me with confusion.
"Why not?" I looked at him with horror. He had enough problems without being sick.
"Because you are hurt! Right now you deserve to just sit back and be treated like a prince for awhile. If you're worried about wasting the food I'll take it home and warm it up for dinner! Don't worry about a thing right now." Making him comfortable was top priority. "I'll go get you some fresh food now, also I'm Cameron." I ran out to bring him food.
"Open wide Weston!" He sent me a side look.
"You really don't need to feed me." I smiled brightly, tapping my head.
"Prince, remember. Princes don't feed themselves." He rolled his eyes but opened his mouth, letting me feed him.
"Why are you doing this?" Why?
"Because... I want you to be happy."
"Why?"
"Because I hate when people are sad! I've seen what sadness can do."
Blood
I smiled I would never let anyone be sad if I could help it.
"You are the one who's been keeping me company since I was admitted." I nodded even though there was no question. "You are the only doctor whose ever stayed longer than to just give me my meds. You're the only one whose ever comforted me. You're quite strange." I laughed.
"I guess I am." He sat up and I tried to gently push him down. "Weston, you'll worry me if you rip your stitches out." I said, concerned.
"I'm fine." He said waving me off before sitting up. He gently grabbed my face and pulled it close to his. I held my breath closing my eyes in anticipation. He released my face.
"I knew it." Huh?
"Wha?"
"There was something off about your face. You're wearing a bandaid. Why?" I rubbed the bandaid.
"Just a small confrontation, difference of opinion, it was nothing." He glared and for a second I felt slight fear but then I remembered how he had watched me with puppy like confusion as I apologized over and over again and my fear dissipated.
"Who hurt you? I swear if they ever again I will kill them." I held my hands up in a sort of surrender.
"Easy boy. It was nothing! I've  definitely been put through worse. Plus you shouldn't kill people for someone you barely know." I joked trying to lighten his dark mood. I lifted my watch and nearly screamed. "Why didn't you tell me it was time for your meds! I'm really late so I know you can tell the effects are wearing off."
"I didn't want them they make me sleepy." He snapped.
"Too bad sleep beats pain." I said smiling at him.
"But... I wanted to talk to you more." I ignored him even if he were to stay awake it was the end of my shift and I had to go home.
"Don't worry Weston I'll sit with you until you fall asleep. I won't leave you alone." I could swear in the dimly lit room I saw something I wasn't meant to. As he drifted to sleep I could make out the outline of a smile.