Chp. 23

for the lovely art on the side :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                                                                                          =23=

=Kaelyn=

         It all happened so quickly. One moment Philip was kneeling by my side, with a grim expression that didn't look natural on his face. His fingers wove in and out of my mane, clenching tightly when the thudding footsteps and hungry snarl of a wolf came from behind us. I couldn't see it, but I knew it was racing right for us.

         Run! I begged silently with my mind. Please get away!

         Since I had fallen facing away from the Dark Woods, I was unable to face my death head on. Instead, I gazed out onto the green hills we had stumbled upon, a flashback of my days as a mere palace horse played out in front of me. There I was, galloping as fast as my legs would take me. Two people rode on my back.... 

         Wait.

         I was hardly ever ridden. 

         What I had originally thought to be a black horse, was actually dark brown, speedily making it's way down a gentle slope. Something long and red trailed from behind it, flapping in the wind, like a long red cloak. One of the riders was shouting something, while the one in the back, a woman I believe, leaned out to the side and clasped her palms together. 

         Suddenly, blue fire exploded from her hands as she extended them forward. The raging ball of fire surged towards us. Flinching, I quickly shut my eyes hoping that the fiery death would be less painful than being eaten alive by wolves.

         Intense heat torched the air above, surrounding us in uncomfortably hot waves. A strangled yip, a dull thud and the racing hoofbeats peaked my curiosity, and hesitantly I cracked open an eye. The two riders were nearly upon us. One was a man, his face clearly expressed a confusing mixture of fear and hope. A woman sat behind him, holding tightly to his waist. Unlike her companion, who never took his eyes off of Philip, she stared directly at me instead.

         My heart skipped a beat as I realized who the man was. 

         I couldn't even react I was so shocked.

         Henry!

         I tried to move and alert the prince of this miraculous occasion, but the pain shot through my leg, leaving me whimpering from the hurt. 

         Henry practically leaped from his horse and rushed to the prince's side. The woman dismounted more gracefully and hastily came to my aid. Kneeling next to me,  her cool fingers lightly brushed over my sensitive skin. 

         "Shhh, it's ok Kaelyn," she cooed. "You'll be alright, I promise." As she spoke, I could feel the pain seeping away with every touch of her fingertips.

         Who is this woman? How does she know who I am?!

         Her dark eyes met mine the moment those thoughts crossed my eyes. Did I detect a hint of remorse? Whatever it was, it vanished with a shake of her head, and her face became an emotionless mask. I watched her silently as she pulled out a small bottle filled with some sort of white pasty-liquid. Uncorking the container, she then poured a few drops onto my shoulder. A small sting made me wince, but soon the brief annoyance faded away.