Chapter 9

After a solid six weeks, Nsync had finished up in the recording studio ahead of schedule and had extra time to themselves. Even though they were supposed to be on holidays, everyone was still working hard. Chris and JC were working with Alex on her demo tape. Chris had been in contact with several record companies who had expressed an interest in Alex, but nothing had been finalized yet.

JC was thankful for the distraction but disappointed as well. He had not had the time to get back to see Carey and he was going nuts being away from her. He hadn't seen her since before she had seen the interview on MTV. She still seemed the same whenever they talked on the phone but he couldn't be sure until he actually saw her in person.

Carey felt like she was walking in the clouds but she was still nervous about the next time she would see JC. He called often and he had eventually given her the number to his phone so she could call him whenever she wanted. She still didn't call him though. She was afraid that she would interrupt something important and she didn't want to be a nuisance to him. She was spending a rare Saturday afternoon at home with her composition book when the phone rang.

"Hello?"

"Carey, hi."

Carey immediately smiled. "Josh, how are you?"

"I'm good. Extremely busy but good. And you?"

"I'm good too. A little bored maybe. I thought you were supposed to be on holidays."

JC chuckled. "I am but that doesn't seem to mean anything to some people." JC fidgeted with the telephone cord in his hand and screwed up enough courage to ask Carey the question that had been his reason for phoning. "Carey, are you working next weekend?"

"Yes, I am, but I have some banked time I can take. Why? Are you coming to see me!" She was suddenly excited.

"No, We are performing at a birthday party for our record company."

"Oh." Carey replied her disappointment obvious.

"I can't come to see you but I was wondering if you would like to come to Orlando."

"Me? Go to Orlando to see you?" Carey asked incredulously.

"Well, yeah. You can finally meet everyone – they're anxious to know who you are. And you can come to the Jive birthday with us."

"Josh, I'd love to but..." JC waited for the excuse he had been expecting. She doesn't want to see me anymore, he thought. "Are you sure I won't be in the way? I mean you're going to be performing and rubbing elbows with colleagues and I don't want to be a burden."

JC was surprised. Here he was worried about her not wanting to see him again and she was worried about being in his way. "Carey, you would never be! I will have to leave you for a few appearances and interviews but you can hang out with Alex. And I won't ever be gone for the whole day. Please say yes Carey. I really want to see you. I need to see you."

There was no way Carey was going to turn him down after that speech. "I have to talk to my boss and look up flight information..."

"Don't worry about that. Just make sure you have time off from work and I'll take care of the rest. I'll call you tomorrow after you talk to your boss." There was loud shouting the background on his end of the line.

Carey laughed. "Do you have to go?"

"Yeah, damn photographers. I'll call you tomorrow."

"Take care Josh." Carey hung up the phone and sighed. In eight days she would be on her way to Florida to see the man of her dreams. It was going to be the longest eight days of her life. But first things first, she thought as she pulled on her jacket and headed outside. She quickly walked down the street to the deli to talk to Sarah about getting time off.