The Thief's Revenge - Ch 38 [the interlude]

Comincia dall'inizio

"Shit, Kayli, if I hadn't discovered Luke's plot, you could've fallen into Lee's plans. If you had just asked I could've walked in and out of that building with the files, no worries."

"I already said. I thought that you wouldn't want to break the law. It wasn't just this H.I.T. I was going to help Fletch. We were going to get back at Lee."

He leaned toward me, his face falling into shadow. "You were actually thinking of putting yourself into danger? On purpose?!" He faced the front again and quickly sped out onto the road again, going at his usual too-fast speed.

"We would've planned it all out until it was flawless," I defended.

"Be quiet! I swear, if I hear any more about your idiotic idea, I will consider throttling Fletcher and locking you up in an igloo in Antarctica! Didn't this 'H.I.T.' prove to you that your 'flawless plans' are completely stupid?"

"We were set up!"

He shook his head and muttered something unintelligible. "Very easily set up," he said piercingly.

He braked suddenly for a red light and I was thrust forward, stopped painfully by my seatbelt. "Ah!" I rubbed my collarbone where the belt had bit into my skin.

His eyes flashed over to me. "Sorry," he grunted. Then he sighed hugely and rested his head on the steering wheel. The lights turned green but he didn't look up and I didn't dare bother him. Luckily there was nobody in the lane behind us.

He spoke suddenly, his voice coarse. "In a week I've already forgotten how you can scatter and jumble up my emotions. It's like they're all fighting to be the dominant feeling inside me. It's not... comfortable." He glanced over at me and I saw that his foremost emotion at the moment looked rather like fear. But he kept his eyes on me and the trepidation softened into care directed at me.

He turned back to the road and accelerated once more, his speed still too fast. The rest of the drive was quiet but it was not

"I should talk to Dan straight away," I said softly. "If Lee somehow follows us here..."

Liam brought his free hand to my cheek, quieting me. He held my face firmly so that I couldn't turn it away from him. "Dad's still out on a mission. He should be home tomorrow and then I will tell him what's happened. So, instead, you can tell me what you've been up to for the past week." His smile was too innocent. I would have to tread carefully and think before I spoke.

"Are you reverting back to the time where I had to report each insignificant detail of my day?" I muttered dryly.

His eyes narrowed thoughtfully. "Not a bad idea, though in the next few days you won't be going anywhere without me so it will be unnecessary. But you can use the same method to tell me of the past seven days." He gave me a sidelong glance. "Let's head up to my study... just like old times."

Warmth trickled down my spine and I felt the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, as well as on my arms. I shivered lightly at the look in his eyes. Like he was staring at something he was hungry to eat. Then he grinned, wolfishly. "Why don't I allow the lady to leave the car first?" he said silkily.

He pressed a button and his door hissed open. He was expecting me to crawl over him to get out first. I shook my head.

"Seriously Liam. Now is not the time to be in your playful mood."

He yanked his right hand and my hand, then my body, followed until I was sprawled over his lap. "Who said I was being playful?" he chuckled in a way that almost sounded like a growl.

"Oh, I guess you must be in your mean mood," I said sarcastically trying to push myself off him. He put his unrestrained hand under my hip and helped me up. But he kept his cuffed hand out the door so that I couldn't return to my seat.