Chapter 2

Katniss got to work early the next day, stopping to smell the rose bushes on the way in, closing her eyes leisurely.

A smile graced her face when the pure, unabashed smell of rose hit her nose, a scowl taking over when she opened her eyes and saw the cigarette butt on the ground down below.

Staring at the thing as if she could make it disappear with her mind, she walked toward the shop, not taking her eyes off it until she passed through the door, even then taking a step back to double check it was still there.

It was.

Xxx

Prim was flipping through a book of arrangements with a client as Katniss worked on a setting of daisies.

She kept catching herself looking out the window, watching for his car. Each time kicking herself inwardly for waiting.

What was there to wait for? The glimpse of his blue eyes if he forgot his sunglasses? The flash of a dimple as he smiled at the stranger walking down the sidewalk? That beautiful blonde hair that was perfect no matter how he had it?

No. None of that was worth waiting for. At least, she tried to tell herself that.

Again.

And again.

Xxx

Stealing a glimpse out the front window as she set up some display arrangements, she caught sight of him, ducking with a slight squeak behind the display, peering through the leaves as he walked toward the tattoo shop.

He was wearing a white t-shirt, pushing his hand through his damp hair as he jogged to the door. He must have showered right before, and he was running late, causing a million scenarios to run through Katniss' mind.

She really hated that Prim had insisted on the pop station this morning. Taylor Swift was crooning about long hair slicked back and a white t-shirt, and that James Dean daydream look in your eyes.....

She really hated Prim right now.

Xxx

It was several hours later that he came out for his first cigarette.

She wanted desperately to be angry with him, waiting for the moment he tapped it out in the dirt, ready to pounce.

He did, rising to his feet and she was about to charge when he started heading for the door of her shop.

She must have looked comical as she scrambled into the back, peering through the little window as he came in.

He smiled at Prim, greeting her by name as he walked in.

"Hey, Peeta," Prim smiled back.

Peeta? Of all the names she had made up for him, Peeta was not one of them, but now as she looked at him, it fit. He was so..... Peeta.

By the time she came back to the conversation he was thanking her for that arrangement of Katniss flowers he had ordered.

"Oh, I didn't arrange them," Prim was saying.

No, no, no, no, no!

"Oh! Well who did, so I can thank them?"

Katniss slammed her forehead against the glass of the door with a loud thump, cringing at the sound and ducking down to a squat, her back to the door, her palm slamming her forehead.

"What was that?" She heard Peeta's muffled voice through the door.

Her hand slipped down to her mouth, covering it in disbelief, her eyes wide, shaking her head in a vigorous no.

"Just my sister," Prim sighed, Katniss letting her hand fall limply as she scowled, pretending Prim could see.

"Oh." Peeta sounded confused, and a little frightened.

She almost laughed. Peeta was afraid of the thump in the flower shop. It was slightly satisfying, and she smiled smugly, relishing in the way she had gotten back at him, however small.

She heard the front bells jingle, followed by silence.

She jumped, falling onto her butt when Prim swung the door open, standing there with her hands on her hips.

"He's gone."

"Thanks."

Xxx

"Why don't you just talk to him?"

Katniss slowly swung her head to look at Prim as they arranged a wildflower setting together.

"Don't look at me like that," Prim said, not even glancing at the scowl she knew was being shot her way, chuckling when she knew she'd made it deeper.

"Because." Katniss shrugged, turning back to her arrangement.

"...Because?" Prim prodded.

"That's all. I don't need more of an answer than that."

"Yes you do."

"Okay. Fine. Because..... Because."

"Katniss-"

"Fine! I just..... I don't know. He's.... I...... Because." She stared at the flowers in front of her, feeling Prim's eyes on her. "Shut up."

Xxx

She stared at him unabashedly as he sketched the next day, mindlessly fiddling with the bouquet in front of her.

"You know I'm no good with words," she turned to Prim, speaking quietly.

With a sympathetic smile, Prim leaned on the counter. "You don't need to use words."

"What are you suggesting?" Katniss narrowed her eyes at her sister.

"He's an artist," she said flippantly, turning back to the papers in front of her. "A tattoo artist. He speaks with pictures. And you, my sister, have a beautiful canvas."

Prim looked up to see Katniss slack jawed.

She shrugged. "What? A little ink wouldn't hurt. Well, it would, but it wouldn't kill you."

"What would I even get?" Katniss said, her voice small in defeat.

Prim grinned impishly at her sister. "Improvise."

Xxx

After pondering it, Katniss decided to go for it, watching him draw all day cementing the idea.

She would let him decide.

She would do it.

She would.

Tomorrow.

Maybe.

Xxx

The sun was setting the next day when she had summoned the courage to walk next door.

When she got to the front door she froze, stuck in her tracks.

Prim tried to push her, gently offering words of encouragement, without any success. Finally she shoved her with a "Go!" and she slammed into the door as it swung open, flying out onto the sidewalk.

Smoothing out her braid and pressing the wrinkles out of her clothes, she turned and stood in front of the store next door, her hand hovering over the handle.

"Go!" Prim's muffled voice came from behind the shop door, startling Katniss.

With one last deep breath she pushed the door open and stepped inside.