A Hybrid Baby

*Third Person's P.O.V.*

        Sophie Deveraux stepped out into the chilly night air of New Orleans through the back door of Rousseau's, running down the steps before stopping in front of a small table, lit candles and a few different herbs on top of it. Sophie stared at the candles with tears prickling her eyes as she thought about her dead sister, the image of the body with a slit throat branded into her mind.
        "Oh, you got me into this, Jane," she whispered, her voice chocked up as she lit another candle, "Oh, give me the strength to finish it," she whispered as she closed her eyes for a moment, before whipping around as the back door of Rousseau's slammed shut behind her. She turned around fully to try and see what or who might have closed the door, before turning around again when she heard a whoosh behind her. After not seeing anyone, she turned back towards the back stairs of Rousseau's, only to see a man around his late 20's with brown hair and brown eyes, staring at her like a predator would at its prey. Sophie closed her eyes and pulled her lips into a firm line, immediately knowing the man to be a vampire, "The doors work, you know," she snapped.
        "You're doing magic?" Came a deep voice from behind her and Sophie turned around, only to see another dark-skinned man in his late 20's behind her.
        "I'm praying to my dead sister," Sophie said as she stared at the vampire distastefully. "Go ahead. Pay your respects,"
        "Ah," the brunette vampire tsked when she turned back around. "Don't make this a thing, Sophie. The Hybrid was looking for Jane-Anne. Marcel wants to know why,"
        "I'd say ask her yourself, but I guess you can't seeing as Marcel killed her," Sophie retorted sharply before turning around again, only to see the dark-skinned vampire advancing on her. Before she could blink, the vampire behind her wrapped an arm around her neck and pulled her against his chest, hissing as his fangs emerged.
        Suddenly, the vampire was pulled up with vampire speed, and Sophie, along with the dark-skinned vampire, looked around in shock and confusion, before gasping when something fell to the ground behind the vampire from above. The dark-skinned vampire took a step forward to get a better look, and his eyes widened the tiniest bit when he saw the heart dripping with blood.
        Not a second later, someone jumped down from the roof, and Sophie could vaguely make out the silhouette of a woman before the dark-skinned vampire was thrown against the wall and impaled on a metal ornament of the building.
        "I'm Annah," the woman said in a melodic voice, before someone jumped down from the roof and landed beside her.
        "And I'm Elijah," the man introduced himself. "You heard of us?"
        "Y-Yes," Sophie nodded, her voice shaking, and Annah stepped forward.
        "So why don't you tell us what business your family has with our brother,"

*25 Minutes Later*

        Annah and Elijah followed Sophie to the Lafayette Cemetery, letting her enter through the squeaking gate first before proceeding to follow, but being forced to a stop by an invisible force.
        "What is this?" Annah demanded as Sophie turned around to look at her and Elijah with a new, confident aura around her.
        "This is sacred ground. Which means vampires have to be invited in," Sophie said with a small, almost triumphant, smile, before glancing down, "But since I'm desperate, come on in," she said, before continuing to walk through the cemetery, Elijah and Annah following after sharing a glance. "We can talk freely here,"
        "Then I suggest you start talking," Annah said, making Sophie turn around.
        "What did your sister want with Niklaus?" Elijah asked the witch, his voice collected but his eyes showing that he is wary of her intentions.
        "Isn't it obvious? We have a vampire problem, and we need help. Marcel has an army backing him. The witches have been trying to fight back. We haven't had much luck. Until my sister Jane-Anne met a girl. A werewolf passing through the Quarter from a small town in Virginia," Sophie spoke, and Annah and Elijah's brows furrowed in the same manner when they heard the location, both silently thinking that the witch is most probably speaking about Mystic Falls, the almost-magnet for supernatural creatures, "She had a special connection to your brother," Sophie continued, her lips twitching into a smirk as she said the word 'connection'.
        "What kind of connection?" Annah asked curiously.
        "Apparently, they spent some time together. One thing led to another, and now this special werewolf girl? She's pregnant. And the father of the child she's carrying is your brother Klaus,"
        "That's impossible," Annah dismissed, her voice harsh at the witch's ridiculous accusation.
        "Nothing's impossible. Especially not when it comes to your brother," Sophie shook her head, "Think about it. They call him the Hybrid, right?" she said, before turning around, "Bring her out!" she called, and the two Originals watched in interest as a few witches came out, surrounding a beautiful young woman with tan skin, brown wavy hair and brown eyes. Annah's eyes widened the tiniest bit as she recognized the werewolf from her time in Mystic Falls.
        "Who the hell are you?" the girl asked as she eyed the Originals, before her eyes widened in recognition as the younger vampire took another step forward, "Annah," she stated in a surprised voice.
        "Give us a moment, please," Annah said quietly to Sophie, but her voice showed that the witch had no choice, while Elijah glanced at his sister with a confused glint in his eyes, wondering how she knew the werewolf. 
        Sophie nodded and looked at the other witches, jerking her head and quietly telling them to follow her, leading them away from the Originals and the werewolf.
        "Come with us," Elijah said to the werewolf, before leading her and his sister through the entrance way. They then entered a burial vault filled with lit candles on the walls around them, and the werewolf quickly made herself comfortable on the cot in small alcove in the vault, "So have they been holding you here against your will?" Elijah asked as he started slowly pacing in the small space, while Annah made herself comfortable leaning against the wall.
        "They lured me out to the bayou and grabbed me. And they did all these... weird, witchy tests... Not that I understand how this could happen, I mean, vampires are dead. They can't have children," the werewolf said, and Annah scowled.
        "Yes, I'm well aware of that fact, thank you," she snapped, and the werewolf seemed to realize her mistake as she ducked her head with a small grimace while Elijah gave his sister a small, comforting smile before turning to the werewolf.
        "Perhaps if you knew our brother's story, it might explain how this is possible," he said, before stepping forward and reaching his hand out towards her temple. "If I may,"
        "What are you doing?" the werewolf recoiled quickly before he could touch her, and Elijah pulled his hand back slightly as she looked at him with wide eyes.
        "Relax," he said softly before sitting down on the cot beside her, "If you open your mind to me... I can show you," he said, and the werewolf stole a quick glance at Annah, who gave her a nod, before turning back to Elijah as he put his hands on either sides of her head and closed his eyes, letting his memories flow into her mind. "In the beginning, our family was human. 1000 years ago now,"
        "Come on, Bekah, Henrik! Our brothers are fighting again!" Annah called out to her siblings with a grin stretched out on her beautiful face before running back to where the spectacle was taking place, and Rebekah mirrored the grin before she and their younger brother ran to where the small crowds surrounding their brothers was.
        "Although our mother dabbled in the dark arts, we were largely just a family trying to survive at a time when it was quite difficult to do so..."
        Rebekah and Annah stood side by side, grinning happily as they watched their older brothers spar playfully, their swords clashing against one another. At one point, as they both turned spun around, Niklaus managed to duck and cut through the belt around Elijah's waist, grinning as he heard their younger sisters and brother laughing, a grin on growing on Elijah's lips as well.
        "And for better or worse... we were happy. That is, however, until one night. Our youngest brother was killed by our village's greatest threat,"
        "Mother!" Niklaus screamed desperately as he dropped to his knees and lied Henrik's mauled body down on the ground as Rebekah ran out of the house upon hearing his devastated screams.
        "Men that could transform themselves into wolves during a full moon. Our family was devastated. None more than Niklaus,"
        "Henrik!" Annah called out as she and Ayana ran towards her family. The women were in the middle of practicing another, more complicate than usual spell, when they heard Niklaus' screams. Without a thought, Annah ran out of the house, with Ayana following.
        When she saw her younger brother's body, Annah halted in shock as tears prickled her eyes and a whimper escaped her lips. She quickly covered her mouth as though that very action could stop her from breaking down before dropping to her knees beside Niklaus as sobs shook his body, his knees pulled up to his chest as tears trickled down his cheeks. As Rebekah sobbed over Henrik's body on her knees beside Annah, the brunette straightened up on her knees and circled her arms around Niklaus' shoulders, pressing kisses to the top of his head as all of their hearts broke, the dead body of the youngest member of their family lying in front of them.
        "Desperate to protect the rest of us, our father forced our mother to call upon her black magic in order to make us stronger,"
        "Drink!" Mikael ordered his youngest daughter after slicing a village girl's wrist open. Annah shook her head with tears in her eyes as Niklaus sat on his knees beside them, not being able to do anything after Mikael pushed him away roughly. Annah glanced at Rebekah's still unconscious form over her shoulder, before she felt her hair being pulled as Mikael put his hand on the back of her head roughly, forcing her face down on the village girl's bloody wrist, "Drink!" he yelled, and Annah whimpered before sinking her teeth into the girl's flesh.
        "Thus, the first vampires were born. But with this speed, this strength, this immortality came a terrible hunger. And no one felt this hunger more than Niklaus,"
        Niklaus sunk his fangs into a villager's neck, hungrily drinking his blood.
        "When he killed for the first time, we knew what he truly was,"
        An agonized scream echoed through the forest as Niklaus' bones began to break, and he fell to his knees in pain.
        "Niklaus!" Elijah's voice rang through the forest before he and Mikael emerged from the trees.
        "What is happening to me?!" Niklaus screamed in pain as he looked up at his older brother, who proceeded to run over to him only to be stopped by Mikael.
        "No, don't! Don't!" Mikael ordered, pushing Elijah back as Niklaus' bones continued to break, agonized screams leaving his lips.
        "Father! It hurts!" Niklaus sobbed in pain as he struggled to breathe, his bones continuously breaking before a roar left his lips.
        "He's a beast. An abomination," Mikael growled as Niklaus looked up, blood dripping down from his lips, his fangs showing, veins underneath his eyes, his eyes gold.
        "He wasn't just a vampire," Elijah said.
        "He was also a werewolf," the werewolf girl realized. "That's how the werewolf curse works. It isn't activated until you take a life,"
        "Niklaus was the result of an indiscretion our mother had hidden from us all. An affair with a werewolf like yourself. Infuriated by this betrayal, our father forced our mother to cast a spell that would suppress Klaus' werewolf side, denying him any connection with his true self,"
        Niklaus struggled against Mikael's hold as the older man tried to shackle him to a wooden cross.
        "Elijah! Elijah! Hold him down!" Mikael ordered Elijah, who was standing a few feet away from them.
        "Brother!" Niklaus called desperately. "Please, don't let them do this to me!"
        "Do it now, boy! Now!" Mikael yelled, and Elijah obeyed, walking over to the two and holding Niklaus' arm down on the cross, letting Mikael shackle him.
        "Help me," Niklaus pleaded as he looked into his older brother's eyes.
        "Your dad was a dick," the werewolf girl stated, and a dry laugh escaped Annah's lips as Elijah chuckled quietly, "I'm Hayley, by the way," she introduced herself to Elijah, knowing that Annah already knew her name, and Elijah shook her hand politely. "You should probably know my name if you're gonna tell me your whole life story. I mean, I know yours. Your family is legendary," Hayley said, glancing at Annah in the process before looking at Elijah again. "Your brother is a notorious psycho, who I slept with. Classic me,"
        "I cannot excuse his behavior but you must understand that our father hunted him, hunted us, for centuries," Elijah said as he stood up from the cot, moving to stand beside his sister.
        "Every time we found even so much as a moment of happiness, we were forced to flee," Annah spoke up for the first time, looking at the werewolf girl with a blank look on her face, trying not to show any emotion as all the emotions about her family's past came flooding back. "Even here, in New Orleans, where were happiest of all,"
        "Not long after Niklaus broke the spell which prevented him from becoming a hybrid... he defeated our father," Elijah spoke up again. "I thought this would make him happy," he shook his head. "He was angrier than ever. I wonder if, perhaps, this baby might be a way for our brother to find happiness. A way to save him from himself,"
        "I'm glad you feel that way," came a voice from behind Annah and Elijah, and the Originals turned around, only to see Sophie coming towards them. "Because we need your help,"
        "What, precisely, is it that you want, and what does it have to do with this young woman?" Elijah asked.
        "We want to run Marcel and his vampires out of town," Sophie said, determination shining in her eyes. "Klaus is the key. Everything Marcel knows about being a vampire he learned from Klaus. Marcel trusts him, looks up to him. He won't see the betrayal coming,"
        "Yes, well, as I'm sure you're aware, our brother doesn't like to be told what to do," Annah said dryly as she pushed herself off the wall to take a step forward and stand beside her brother, both of them subtly blocking Hayley.
        "It's why I brought you two here," Sophie said. "Marcel drove the werewolves out of town decades ago. Do you really think he's going to welcome a hybrid baby to the neighborhood? Convince Klaus to help us, and no one has to know about the newest member of the Original family,"
        "That sounds remarkably like blackmail," Annah observed, a dangerous glint in her eyes as she eyed the witch.
        "Like I said, I'm desperate," Sophie nearly growled as she grit her teeth, staring at the two Originals fearlessly.
        "Well, then..." Annah sighed, before looking at her brother. "We have our work cut out for us, don't we?"