Part 7

I held on to Jason tightly, closing my eyes to let the wind blow against my face. He was an excellent rider, and the only problem about this ride is that my butt hurts more than usual.

"Enjoying the ride," he asked. I'm happy this Jason's better than the one who noticed my pajama shirt. This Jason is a lot sweeter.

I herd the trickle of water from the stream only feet away. As we went farther it got louder. Jason slowed Syrup to a stop, then dismounted.

"So how have you been?" He asked automatically, holding his hand out to help me down.

"Honestly, awful," I sighs, stepping closer to the stream. It was around four inches deep and three feet wide at the point we were at.

"Awwww.... Why?" He sounded really concerned, but I didn't know if he was just asking or really that sweet.

"I lost my dad, had the cops called, cut my arm open, oh! And had my family separated all in four months time span," I rambled, looking at my feet. Jason pulled me into a tight hug, rubbing my back.

"Let it out. Is this why you were so determined to ride?" He asked into my neck. Before I knew it the tears spilled and I was squeezing him back. I let out a muffled yes.

"Blake told me you've been having a rough time. I'm always here you know," he offers, but I was just happy someone was willing to take in my pain.

We stood there till the sun set, and that's when I remembered my cousin.

"J-j-j-Joey!" I cried out, reaching for my phone while trying to hug. Jason pulled me in closer and lifted my hand from my riding jacket. He shook his head and pulled me even closer.

"I told him we will be out here and I will call him when we come back," he filled me in.

----------

Ten after ten when we rode in. Jason walked me back to the house before caring for Syrup. Joey led me upstairs were I dashed for my phone. Yesterday I gave Blake my number if he got bored talking to nobody, and was still awaiting his first text. I needed to thank him for today, he really tried.

I turned on my phone and headed straight for recent texts, smiling as I only saw three. One of them has to be Blake. But when I opened his text it wasn't what I thought I would hear.

He wrote: You have baggage to unload and Jason is one of those people that will take it in. I hope he helps, love Blake.

He never said hi.

He should at least say hi.

My return message: thanks for the thought Blake, it made me feel a lot better.

----------

Joey woke me up by waking me with a pillow. I silenced my alarm. How? Not by disabling the alarm, no. It deserved worse. It treated me unfairly, so I threw it out my second story window.

Of course that resulted to me being "grounded" again.

Hmph. It started it.

I skillfully stumble down the stairs only to be blinded by the living room. Those colors are not to be seen in the morning. I dashed to the kitchen with my hands shielding my eyes, then inhaled the smell of bacon.

"Morning Elle," Joey calls to me from over the island stove. I yanked out a chair next to the island and began gobbling down the bacon. Not even Joey could make it taste better.

"How was last night?" Joey asks a little too suspiciously. I shrug my shoulders and gave him the simplest answer.

"Fine," I reply.

"Anything important?" He asks quickly.

I shook my head. He eyeballs me.

"No hugging, kissing, or feelings hurt!?" He shouts out, giving me my answer. He's just being a protective parent.

"Nothing happened, we just talked," I reply again. He looks like he wants to continue the conversation, but luckily he smelt that his bread was burning. I let out a silent sigh.

"You want to help me move students around today?" Joey switches the topic. It would get me out of the house? But then again it requires work...? But that's why I'm here though....?

"Sure, I can use something's to do," I answer back, earning a grin. "Why is everyone moving?" I say, picking up a plate to be served on.

"There are some more advanced students and some to slow learners. They just need a better learning environment," he answers, shrugging off the question. "Oh," I reply.

"Here is the list, just ask them if they are able to move. Tell them same hour and same day, different teachers. Shouldn't be to hard," he states, passing over the sheet.

----------

I got bored after two minutes, but I was doing something. Some of my students I had on my first day came to say hi, but other than that I had nothing to look forward to.

Blake came riding by perfectly on his very own horse that was just transferred to a stall yesterday. His smile couldn't bigger as he stopped in front of me.

"I see your up and moving," Blake exclaims, dismounting and taking a step closer to me.

"Yay, your cousin really helped. He was sweet and nice, kind and caring. He really took in my problems. Thanks... For telling him to come," I told him enthusiastically. His bright and happy smile dimmed a lot, his eyes growing sadder telling me I said something wrong.

"Ya, he's a real sweetheart. I'm sorry I bugged you," he told me grimly before mounting back on his horse to gallop away.

"Wait! Come back! What did I say!" I shouted, chasing after him. He slowed to a stop before pulling out a slip of paper.

"Here," he shoved the paper at me, waiting for me to grab it. I reached my hand up and took it. Once the paper left his hand he returned to his group. I guess he doesn't like me anymore. He was a nice friend.

I unfolded the small paper.

It was his phone number.

Jason's phone number.

----------

I was huddled in my room for the rest of the day, deciding if I should call Blake.

Has it always been just a game? And I the ultimate prize?

Was it a game for Jason? I thought he really cared?

A loud knocking shook me from my trance. I kind of wanted to pretend I wasn't here, but I've been crying quite loudly. But wouldn't you? If you found out you were just a prize for two boys?

"Elle, it's me Joey. I'm going to head to the store. Do you want to come?" He asked. I tried to find my clock, but the I remembered I threw it out the window.

I have no regrets.

"What time is it?" I called back, getting out of my bed.

"Well, you would know if you didn't-"

"Just tell me!" I shouted through the door.

"Five thirty I just finished up at the stalls," he finally answered.

"K! I'm putting my shoes on!" I called back, floundering around while trying to slip my shoes on.