"We're going to have to fix that," said Ashley. She flipped her long hair over her shoulder and said, "I'm taking you dress shopping with me tonight, and on Saturday you're coming to my house to get ready before the dance."

I actually smiled without even trying. "I'd like that a lot."

~*~*~

After school, I walked the short way from the school to Belinda's Skyport Café. It felt wrong of me to just quit my job, and I figured a little bit of money for college would help, anyway.

When I opened the door, the glass bell jingled, and I saw Melissa at the front counter taking a customer's order. She waved at me, and after the customer wen to sit down she said, "Belinda was having me take over your shifts for now, but she said you can take them back if you wanted to keep working here. I think she's in the kitchen if you want to talk to her."

Setting my bookbag behind the counter, I opened the swinging door into the kitchen and poked my head inside. Sure enough, Belinda was cutting up fruits and veggies and separating them into large plastic containers.

"Hey, Evelyn," she said, barely even looking up. I waved hesitantly and then came to a stop in front of the table. "How are you doing?"

"Fine," I said, even though my voice sounded a little strained. I cleared my throat and then leaned back against the wall.

Belinda finally glanced up at me, and I saw that her eyes were filled with concern. "There's always a spot open here for a job, if you want," she said. "I understand if it'll take a while before you come back, though, or if you decide not to come back at all."

"No, I want to come back," I said. "I need the money. When can I start again?"

"I expect you back at three thirty promptly tomorrow afternoon." Belinda said it seriously, but she was smiling. "And congratulations on the prom, by the way."

I could feel myself blushing a little as, hiding a smile, I let myself out of the kitchen and grabbed my bag from the counter.

Since I didn't have a ride back to the home for girls, I walked back to school and worked in the library until Cameron was done with soccer practice. At five thirty, he came in, looking thoroughly sweaty and exhausted.

"It's a scorcher outside," he said as I began packing up my bag. "Sure am glad to be going home."

I swung my backpack over my shoulder and Cameron took my stack of textbooks, shifting his soccer bag to his other hand. "I'm going shopping for a prom dress tonight," I said.

"Make sure you tell me what color it is."

Rolling my eyes, I stepped back outside. It wasn't as hot as when I had walked back from the café, but the sun was still beating down intensely and there was little respite from a breeze. I was relieved when I got inside Cameron's SUV and he cranked up the air conditioning.

"Final exams are coming up," he said as he turned out of the school parking lot and onto the main road. "You've been studying, haven't you, Caverly?"

I wrinkled my nose. "No. Should I be? I forgot all about them."

"They're in a little more than five weeks," he said. "And are you in any AP courses? Because those tests are in three weeks."

"Do you think I'm taking any advanced classes?"

He flicked on his blinker. "You're smart enough for it."