17. Always the basement

Start from the beginning

*******************

Rebekah and Elijah were standing on the green across from the Grill. Elijah was trying to convince his temperamental sister to not kill everybody in the town. He had managed to slightly calm her down when Elena and Damon approached them. The doppelganger looked smug, but Damon just looked unhappy.
"I don't know why you're still here," Elena began in a gloating voice, "There's nothing you can do. Soon Jennifer will be dead, and the abomination..."
Elena was cut off as Rebekah lunged at her, but at the last second she was pulled back by her brother. Damon pulled at Elena's arm. "Let's go." Elena tried to quell the fear she had felt when Rebekah lunged at her and started to follow the older Salvatore when Elijah's voice stopped them.
"Tell me Miss Gilbert, just what do you think will happen to you the moment anything... fatal... happens to Jennifer? When you no longer have leverage over us?" He saw from Elena's reaction that she obviously hadn't thought that far ahead. "Well do not worry," he continued, his tone deadly. "The second you lose your leverage; you will also lose your heart."
Rebekah's lips formed a cold smile at her brothers' words, but before she could say anything Damon grabbed Elena and they were gone.

*******************

I arrived at my parents' house and stood briefly on the doorstep. Part of me didn't want to do this, but I also knew it was time. I couldn't go on like this.

*******************

Nik looked down at Jennifer, she looked so peaceful. He spoke to Sophie without taking his eyes of the slumbering girl. "I couldn't stay there; she has to realise that she can stay with her parents until she dies if she so chooses. However, I refuse to watch her sink deeper into that reality." He finally looked at the weakened witch. "Consider your debt payed. You did your part, our deal will be honoured. You are now free to go, and will not be harmed."
Sophie didn't have to be told twice. She turned to leave, happy to be able to leave this mess behind, but faltered at the door. "Wait," she whispered, turning back to look at Jennifer, "something is changing. I can feel it."

*******************

I entered the house slowly, taking it in. I heard my parent's voices, they were in the kitchen, laughing. The sensible voice in the back of my mind was reminding me that none of this was really. As usual, however, I ignored that voice. this may not be real, but who the hell would pass up the chance to do this.

I faltered at the kitchen door, my dad and mum where chasing each other around the kitchen, both covered in flour. I now fully realised that everything here really was a product of my own mind. This exact scene was from my seventh birthday. Mom had been trying to make a cake for me when dad had dumped the flour over her head. I watched them for a moment without interruption. I wanted to cherish this memory for just a little longer.

They stopped what they were doing when they saw me. I entered the kitchen then, tried to focus on what had to be done. If I didn't do it now, I never would.

I sat at the table, asked them to join me. They shared a look before sitting down. I was finding it hard to breathe, "I need to talk to you, to tell you a few things."

My parents give each other a worried look before returning their focus to me. "What is it Jennifer? You can tell us anything." My mother said, reaching across the table to squeeze my hand.

I held onto it for dear life. "So much has happened since you were both killed," I began. I saw the look they passed between them had changed to one of scepticism at my words, but I kept going. "Your secret, about the vampires of the town, well it turns out that keeping it from me didn't help. By the time I found everything it was too late. I was already a part of it, I just hadn't realised it." As I said this, I thought about how true it was. Nik had already been in my life before I found out about the supernatural world.