chapter 3

**after Working in the sandwich shop all day**

"Daniiiiiiii..." Max wined, "Why not?!?"

"Max I have told you multiple time in the past months! You can't visit me on campus!" Dani took off her apron, walking towards the kitchen, Max following her.

"Why not." He sounded like a child who didn't get what he wanted for christmas.

"Because, as I said so before, it's a Private College. They don't allow visitors" she grabbed his apron and hung it up along with hers.

He turned to walk upstairs, "Fine, but I will find a way. Come on"

"Max, I gotta go home." Dani called after him, he pause on the stairs and turned to her.

"What! Why? You never leave this early." He looked panicked, "I though we had all day before you left?" He quickly stepped to her.

"I have some last minute packing i need to get done."  She gave him a hug, his arms wrapped around her waist. She walked out of the sub station,  Max watched her until she turn out of sight.

Dani opened the door to the apartment she shared with her mom, and sat her bag next to the door and hung her keys on the hook on the wall. She walk to the kitchen and came face-to-ass with a man in his boxers, rummaging around the fridge.

"Who the fuck are you? Get out of my apartment!" Dani yelled at the man, making sure stood with the kitchen table between her and the mystery boxer man.

The man quickly turned around, having been startled, with a water bottle in his hand. "Your apartment? I thought this was Kay's apartment?" he looked confused. Dani huffed, and walked to her mom's room with the man in tow.

"Really!?" She slammed the door open, not bothering to knock. Her mother was sitting in bed, with just a black bra on and blanket covering her legs. "I thought we talked about this! I literally leave tomorrow, you were the one that  said no more men until I leave" The man slid past Dani, his fingertips grazing her back. She flinched away and gave her mother a disgusted look. The man grabbed his clothes that were on the floor and went into the bathroom that was in her  mom's room.

"Honey, I didn't know you were going to be home at this time. Your never home at this time!" She tried to keep her voice down.

"Youre the one who told me to get home at this time. You said I needed to pack!"
Her mother started to say something, but the bathroom door opened.

"Uh. It was nice meeting you." The mystery man was now fully dressed in a expensive looking suit.

"Just get out." Dani told him, not bothering to hide the hatred in her voice. She turned out of the room, and back into the kitchen.

"Bye, Michael. See you next time!" Kay called out to him as she shut the door, and locked it, shoving a wad of cash into her bra, and covering her self with her  dark blue robe. "Daniella." She was the only one to use Dani full name, "You didn't need to be rude to him. He-"

"Save it mom." Dani held up her hand up, interrupting her, "I heard this last time." She took a drink of her water she  got out of the fridge.

"So how was your last day of work?" She asked, forgetting the 'Michael' thing ever happened.

"It was okay. The tips were slow today" she lied, "I'm going to pack now." She got up taking her bag and water bottle with her. Her mom climbed out the window onto the fire escape, she closed the window half way, and lit up a cigarette. Dani walked into her room, most of it was packed up, ready to be shipped to her dorm. Dani flopped on her bed. She sighed out loud. Her mom never use to be this way. She never smoked, drink, slept around, nothing. When Dani's dad was still alive, they used to lived in this great, big country house in Kentucky. Her grandparents lived next door to them, it was a picture perfect family. But when her dad died in a horrible car crash, Dani's mom lost it. She started drinking. One day, Dani came home from school and all their stuff was packed up. Her mom said that everything reminded her of dani's dad, so they packed up and moved to New York City. Not even a week later after they were settled, Dani met Max. About a month or two later, Dani walked into the apartment and stumbled across something similar to what happen today. She rolled off the bed to finish her packing.

She was just about to zip up her duffel back when her phone started ringing,  seeing Max's name along with a picture of them pop up made her smile.

"Yes Max?" She chuckled at him when she answered.

"Are you almost done, it's been hours!" He whined. Glancing at the clock, it's only been two hours.

She rolled her eyes "yeah, I'm just about finished. Why, got something planned for tonight?"

"Maybe" He teased her.

'Maxie, just tell me please"

"I want you to come over for a movie night."

"A movie night?"

"Dani, its going to be our last night together, ever!"

"Max. You do realize that I'm going to be gone forever, right? I couldn't stay away that long!" Dani laughed at his dramatics.

"So you'll come over?" He asked

"Yeah, I'll be over in an hour." Dani told him, zipping up her duffle and slinging it on her shoulder.

'Okay, see you soon.' We both hung up.