A span of silence, then Ulfric asked, "What's your plan, then? Assuming the Empire comes to your aid, what will you do next?"

"Start taking fights to the Thalmor."

"Will you be ready for such fights?"

"Yes. They'll be more like skirmishes, really. Finding small pockets of Justiciars and rescuing any prisoners they may have in their clutches."

Ulfric nodded. "And those prisoners? What will you do with them?"

"Offer them food and supplies in exchange for their service to our cause."

The man before me actually cracked a smile. "I always knew you had the makings of a leader. Even when you were a small girl running through Windhelm's Stone Quarter with your parents trailing behind you."

My lips pursed. "I seem to keep forgetting that you remember me. I find it hard to believe, considering I haven't lived in Eastmarch for many years."

"Do not tell me that you cannot remember the names and faces of those you have saved over the years."

I sighed, picking at a groove in the table's rough surface. "You're right, I do. I remember those I have helped. And those I have failed."

"That is how every leader feels, Ylva. They feel the triumph and pain. They care for so many, and they want to save everyone." He caught my gaze. "But the first lesson you must learn is that you cannot save everyone. You must learn to forgive yourself for their deaths, especially if they are not your fault.

"I know of the Companions you lost in the battle for Whiterun. I know they are just the latest in a line of friends and family that you have lost. Those you believe you have failed. If you are to carry this army, Ylva, you must learn to let go of this guilt and move on."

I clenched my jaw and avoided his gaze. I had not come to talk to Ulfric just so he could tell me that I had to learn to harden myself to the deaths of my comrades. "Now is not the time for leadership lessons, Ulfric. After I receive word from the Empire, perhaps we can continue this conversation." I pushed my chair back and stood. "I hope that you'll be allowed to leave the Underforge soon, but with the entire province looking for you, it may take some time."

He nodded, brow furrowed and mouth turned to a frown. I had a feeling he wanted to keep giving me advice, but my emotions were frayed after the incident in the Mare. I was tired from my journey, both physically and emotionally. I needed to tell the rest of the Companions what had happened with Eirik. I did not want them finding out from someone outside of our guild. Hopefully, everything would go well, and I could find time to finally relax.

"You deserve rest, Ylva," said Ulfric, standing, too. "Go and get it."

I cracked a small grin. "We'll talk later, Ulfric. When I'm in a better state to receive your help."

He hummed in response. With a gentle incline of my head, I turned and walked away. The door to the Underforge slid open at my touch, and I stepped into the open, crisp air.

Vilkas was waiting for me on the porch when I left the Underforge. He gave me a gentle, understanding smile, then pulled me into his strong arms. I relaxed the moment he wrapped me in his embrace, arms snaking around him and head falling to his chest.

"Eirik?"

I sighed and tightened my hold. "Sitting in a cell right now, probably screaming his head off."

"You did the right thing, Ylva. The others will understand. He was becoming a danger to all those around him. Once he sobers up, he'll be released. Everything will be all right." He kissed the top of my head. "Why don't you come inside now? Eat something, then come to bed. You've had a hard ride. Any stories or news you have to tell can wait until morning."

I pulled away and looked up at him. "You think I can avoid the others until morning?"

"Anyone can see you've nearly run yourself into the ground. They'll understand that you need your rest before you answer any questions."

I nodded and fell against him again. "Carry me downstairs. I'm not sure I can walk any farther."

He chuckled, then hefted me into his arms, weapons, armor, and all. "Your wish is my command, dear one."

-------

A/N: I deeply apologize for taking so long to update this book! It was never my intention to have this much of a gap between updates, but the motivation I had towards this story disappeared, and I'm not entirely sure it's back yet. I will be trying my best to get chapters updated in a more timely fashion soon, and I hope it won't be such a long wait next time.
See you in the next update! Love and sweetrolls!
~ WG 💙